10,255 miles on amsoil 15/40 = copper @364ppm

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload to somewhere and post it as a pic here either typing in the img code or clicking full reply screen to click the picture

One of this board's main forums is the UOA forum. Having just posted a UOA about 10 days ago, the memory of not being to easily make a attachment, and ultimatly having to type it in,(a pain in it own right) it was probably the last that I will post. Surely there is a way this can be improved upon. It would surely spur me on to do more UOA's.

Aluminum 3
Chromonium 1
Iron 46
copper 364
lead 2
tin 2
moly 0
nickel 1
maganese 1
silver 1
titanium 0
potassium 20
boron 1
silicon 8
sodium 4
calcium 3793
manesium 10
phosphorus 1228
zinc 1652
barium 0

sus visc 70.7
cst visc 13.14
flashpoint 445
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
fuel insolubles 0.3

CHRIS: Universal averages show normal wear for the 6.6L Duramax after 6,600 miles of oil use. Your
15W/40 oil was in use 10,255 miles and we found iron (steel parts) and copper (brass/bronze parts) reading
high, with copper at a whopping 364 ppm. That copper can be from the turbo, engine bushings or an oil
cooler. This much metal in the oil makes it too abrasive for extended use, and long oil runs like this one may
cause more problems down the road. We suggest a 3,000-mile oil change and check back to monitor wear.
Caution: copper!

Click on the picture. Open up Microsoft Paint (free). Then select File --> Save As --> name a filename and beneather that choose .jpg

You can then use the free Microsoft Image Resizer utility (google it for a free download). It's one of their free power tools I think. Then you can right click on the image and resize it to something reasonable. Large = 1024x768 and Medium is 800x600. Upload this to somewhere like an ftp account. They're usually given free with your internet connection. You could always use google too. There's a free utility for Firefox that turns all your Google space into a free internet space holder.

Sorry if this is all more technical than you're interested in. B/c I'm lazy I just gave u the rough overview instead of a detailed step by step on how to do it. Hopefully it can help you. If not, just type it all in. Doesn't take long and you're guaranteed to be there in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hermann
One of this board's main forums is the UOA forum. Having just posted a UOA about 10 days ago, the memory of not being to easily make a attachment, and ultimatly having to type it in,(a pain in it own right) it was probably the last that I will post. Surely there is a way this can be improved upon. It would surely spur me on to do more UOA's.

You can make an imageshack or similar account the post it from there.
If you don't want to do that Ill host the image for you or anyone else for that matter. Just email it to the address in my profile and Ill send you a link...

Originally Posted By: Rlc2500HD
Aluminum 3
Chromonium 1
Iron 46
copper 364
lead 2
tin 2
moly 0
nickel 1
maganese 1
silver 1
titanium 0
potassium 20
boron 1
silicon 8
sodium 4
calcium 3793
manesium 10
phosphorus 1228
zinc 1652
barium 0

sus visc 70.7
cst visc 13.14
flashpoint 445
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
fuel insolubles 0.3

CHRIS: Universal averages show normal wear for the 6.6L Duramax after 6,600 miles of oil use. Your
15W/40 oil was in use 10,255 miles and we found iron (steel parts) and copper (brass/bronze parts) reading
high, with copper at a whopping 364 ppm. That copper can be from the turbo, engine bushings or an oil
cooler. This much metal in the oil makes it too abrasive for extended use, and long oil runs like this one may
cause more problems down the road. We suggest a 3,000-mile oil change and check back to monitor wear.
Caution: copper!

Not sure where 20 ppm K comes from. Na and Si are low, so it doesn't appear to be dirt. Could be the beginning or end of a coolant leak.

Is this your first analysis? Is this your first use of AME? How long was the oil in the engine?

Could be the copper cleaning effect we have seen before. Oil cooler and such. If that's the case, then nothing to worry about, Cu will drop.

Tell us a bit more.

Funny you mention a coolant leak. I did an EGR delete about 1k miles ago and I was concerned some of the spilled coolant from the egr cooler spilled into the open pcv extractor.
I've used oil analyzers prior to this, 12tbn diesel & marine since 5k miles. This is my 3rd UOA and I'm trying to find the other 2. Oil is one week shy of 1 year old.

As I mentioned over at DP, if it were only the Cu I'd be inclined to consider it a mistake.

But the eleveated Fe gives cause for concern. The very high Cu could be causing the abrasive Fe wear, thereby validating both readings.

As I also had mentioned, try a couple of short flush OCIs, and run a "normal" OCI/UOA pattern, and see what happens.

It's not time to panic. It's time for fact finding. It's time to reduce the variables and get to the root cause.

does it matter what filter I use for that? I was thinking since it was 100 mile interval then I'd use a cheap filter with my filtermag for the 200miles then the ac for the 6k

Last edited:
I just thought; does my initial oil change when I did the sample count as one of the 100 mile ones?
I picked up some delvac 1300 for $9 a gallon at auto zone and stp filters. a GM filter for the 6k change also

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Funny you mention a coolant leak. I did an EGR delete about 1k miles ago and I was concerned some of the spilled coolant from the egr cooler spilled into the open pcv extractor.
I've used oil analyzers prior to this, 12tbn diesel & marine since 5k miles. This is my 3rd UOA and I'm trying to find the other 2. Oil is one week shy of 1 year old.

As I understand you, you just answered your own question. Potassium comes from the coolant. Coolant is very destructive to copper and other metals.

As some contaminated oil remains in an oil change, I would not think of a long drain for this change. maybe the next one.

But it is time to think about your driving habits relative to the turbo. Are you letting it cool before shutting it off? Letting the oil get up to temp before gunning it? Not restarting after very short stops?

Originally Posted By: widman
But it is time to think about your driving habits relative to the turbo. Are you letting it cool before shutting it off? Letting the oil get up to temp before gunning it? Not restarting after very short stops?

I do and I do but unsure what you mean on the 3rd.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Originally Posted By: widman

I do and I do but unsure what you mean on the 3rd.

Has me confused also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back