Generous Honda ATF Change Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why Honda recommends 60k miles (or when the warranty expires) in the owner's manual to change the Z1 in the Fits, and a few other Honda models. I changed the Z1 ATF in my fiancee's Fit last night with 21k miles on it. That stuff came out brown and thinner than the new Z1 that went in. Shift quality with the new fluid is much improved.

If that's how the fluid looks at 21k miles, I can't imagine what it would have looked like at 60k miles, or what the transmission would have shifted like.

I know, I'm probably
18.gif
. Just felt like venting.

It's all calculated so when 60K comes and the warranty expires, BOOM!!......you need a new tranny.

There's no mileage limit at all on my 2008 Honda Odyssey. You basically wait for the maintenance minder to tell you. FWIW I did 2 drain/fill cycles with Valvoline Maxlife @ ~20Kmi and the factory Z1 that drained didn't look pretty.

I'm not sure why 60k is recommended. It seems long to me. The Protege kills tranny fluid in less than 30k. It doesn't take long to lose all reddish color. Yeah yeah I know color doesn't matter. I did a complete flush at 90k with Maxlife. Then 2-3 drain in fills in a row every 30k roughly (with Maxlife).

Right now the fluid is almost jet black and getting close to 30k since last drain/fill on it. Total of 16x,xxx miles on it.

When I had my '05 Accord with the 5sp AT, I did drain & fills at 25K and 45K, the Z-1 fluid was still a nice red color with just a touch of brown. The tranny was the nicest thing about the car.

'07 Accord. 2X atf drain & fill at 7k and at 47k. No complaints. Debris on the drain mag was minimal.

Looks like the folks who drain and fill early and often don't have that many complaints.

Glad I drained the pan at 21k instead of waiting.

I think it's a combination of a very, ahem, spirited driver and a badly programmed transmission control strategy.

Also, having the Z1 go brown after fairly short intervals means it's either not that great, or the transmission is stressing it a lot. Or both.

I recently did a 3x drain and fill using Redline D4 (changed my mind about using Z1 after some research and decided to go with the Redline)on my 1996 Accord V6 with 56,000 miles. Is it necessary to add a friction modifier (Lubegard black bottle) to the Redline or is it "good to go" as is? The trans does shift smoother than it was shifting with the Z1 (still a little rough on the 3-2 downshift if accelerating but good otherwise).

The way you drive is a HUGE factor. I've smelled burn in Dex-III as new as 500 miles when the owner decided that "racing" and repeatedly flooring a family-hauler Corolla was a good idea.

My Civic calls for 90k mile changes.

It's also been stated many times that color may have nothing to do with fluid life. It's just a dye that can change. I'm not saying that information if fact, but it's been stated here,
wink.gif

Yes, the color is just a dye. I feel (with no basis in fact, mind you) that the color of ATF should be red, and it should stay red since it's not exposed to combustion byproducts. If it changes and shears, then it means it's time to change it. If it's brown, that means it's definitely time to change it.

There are exceptions to my self-imposed rule.

My 2005 Honda Civic has 83,000km on it and I have ATF leaks. Honda Canada wants to see that the fluid has been changed out 42,000km. Because I bought this car used, I don't have service records and my power train warranty is now void. Anything they can do to get out of fixing something on warranty...

Originally Posted By: Ridds
My 2005 Honda Civic has 83,000km on it and I have ATF leaks. Honda Canada wants to see that the fluid has been changed out 42,000km. Because I bought this car used, I don't have service records and my power train warranty is now void. Anything they can do to get out of fixing something on warranty...

Honda does not require a fluid change under normal service until 120,000 miles for normal service, or 60,000 miles under severe service. I would bring that to the attention of your local dealer.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I don't get why Honda recommends 60k miles (or when the warranty expires) in the owner's manual to change the Z1 in the Fits, and a few other Honda models. I changed the Z1 ATF in my fiancee's Fit last night with 21k miles on it. That stuff came out brown and thinner than the new Z1 that went in. Shift quality with the new fluid is much improved.

If that's how the fluid looks at 21k miles, I can't imagine what it would have looked like at 60k miles, or what the transmission would have shifted like.

I know, I'm probably
18.gif
. Just felt like venting.

The fluid in my friend's Fit still looks OK at 33k. We did get the PGM-FI software reflashed to the latest version, and that improved the shift quality tremendously after a few days of driving. Sometimes, a software update can make a big difference.

Unless of course, they changed the ATF without telling me, but that's unlikely.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Honda does not require a fluid change under normal service until 120,000 miles for normal service, or 60,000 miles under severe service. I would bring that to the attention of your local dealer.

That depends on which year and which car. My Integra has a 45k for first interval then 30k every interval after, on the manual. The shift usually turns harsh at around 15k and smooth out after a change at 30k, but the fluid still looks red. I think the friction additives got worn out or base oil get sheared down at 15k.

That could also explain why Honda tends to love Castro Import MV more than Maxlife, because it is thicker (8 cst vs 6 cst at 100C)

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: The Critic

That could also explain why Honda tends to love Castro Import MV more than Maxlife, because it is thicker (8 cst vs 6 cst at 100C)
could also explain why honda hasn't come out with a low viscosity fluid yet when others manufactures have

60k sounds about right. I know for my KIA they did a "Synthetic Transmission Conditioner" at 15,000 and 45,000 and at 30k and 60k (along with some other services for $269.95 lol) they did a complete Transmission Total Fluid Exchange (along with some other services for $550.95 lol).

Though my vehicle didn't make it to those lengths (got the vehicle past 30k so previous owner did it) and it got totaled before I needed to do it.

Though I'm willing to bet a local mechanic would be priced cheaper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back