Oil filter inlet and outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will seem a dumb question to those who know the answer, and yes I did try the search function.
Does oil enter the filter through the slots in the base, or through the threaded stem onto which it is mounted?
I have read both on this board.
It seems as though it must enter through the slots in the base, and exit through the center, based upon what I can see of the function of the ADBV, as well as the filter construction. It seems to me that the metal cage must be intended to prevent filter media from being expelled into the engine.
Which is the actual inlet route?

From what I have read on this board, the oil comes into the filter via the small holes near the gasket. The filtered oil comes back to the engine via the large threaded hole.

Please correct me if I am wrong guys.
21.gif

Dave

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This will seem a dumb question to those who know the answer, and yes I did try the search function.
I perfomed a lycos or hotbot search years ago on the same question and found the answer on the WWW; It may have been a wix or purolator site and I learned other things on that site too. There is life outside of BITOG. Sometime a forum can stunt the learning process. I Wonder what would happen if someone had to do research in a 'physical' Library today? Do they still have the card catalogue and Dewey Decimal System?

Last edited:
Been there, done that, still do it, on more topics than you could imagine.

The one library I occasionally visit has gone to the Library of Congress numbers. I think their catalog is on the computer.

Despite what some people with an agenda have suggested, the main purpose of the center tube is to support the media. At times, there can be a fairly higher pressure outside the media as inside.

What is truly dumb is to risk being wrong rather than ask a question. Also accepting the first answer you see on the net is dumb. Not having a clue never stops some people from posting.

I am not really fond of LC, as I am far more familiar with Dewey.
The university I attended used LC, but most of my library time has been spent in libraries using Dewey.
It is nice to be able to go to any (Dewey-using) library, and know exactly where to go to browse.
Most libraries have their collections catagloged on a server now.
The old card catalog is increasingly rare.

More accurately, MOST filters flow from the outside to the inside; but there are a few out there that flow "backwards".

They're rare and I've never seen one on any internal combustion engine. Before filtermart.com locked up their website I would use them to see if a given filter mount/canister was a good buy on ebay (salvage pricing). It would be useless to buy a $25 mount when the filters were $95 each. Every once in a while you would run across a IN to OUT filter.

I'm sure some odd implement somewhere has one.

Most of them are canister-types, but I have put my hands on a couple older spin-on oil filters that flowed in to out, plus some hydraulic filters.

My main point was, that while outside to inside flow is consider normal, there are oddities that don't adhere to that norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back