Synthetic blend and high mileage vehicle = leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Blend and even Synth are just marketing terms.

What's the vehicle and driving cycle anyway?

It's a Toyota Van. Mileage is 240,000. I posted a thread previously about the dealer putting 5w-30 in it.

I was reading more and it seems that many people report that switching to synthetic with higher mileage vehicles causes leaks.

The oil they added is a 'super synthetic blend'. I'm not sure if that's the same as synthetic. I just want to avoid leaks.

A REAL toyota van? Or just a Previa? Since the original van had a forklift engine in it, I wouldn't get too worked up about what what it's in the crankcase so long as it's clean.

Yes, it's a real van from 1987. It's a 4x4 even
55.gif
. 4Y engine.

I just want to avoid creating a leak where one doesn't exist. All these people post about switching to synthetic at high miles causes seals to leak. So, I was wondering if the 'super synthetic blend' could do that.

Originally Posted By: RandomInThe707
Will running a synthetic blend in a high mileage vehicle risk oil leaks?

Thanks.

If there is a leak it might make the leak issue more serious.If there is no leak, it will not cause a leak.

I have been changing oil on my 94 Prizm (Corolla engine) with synthetic oil for almost 2 years now and no problems so far.Approximately 140K miles on the odometer.

This was for full synthetic oil.

Synthetic blend should be safer since it is not synthetic at all.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
No, Blend and even Synth are just marketing terms.

What's the vehicle and driving cycle anyway?

What? So synthetic is just a marketing term? is the redline I'm using not a synthetic?

That synthetic somehow implies any vague collective properties ("thinner", likely to leak, can't be mixed, better vague "performance", better vague "protection") is marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back