Home defense shotguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Anybody give me some ideas on prices of Mossberg, Benelli, and Remington in pump, tactical/police versions?

The Benelli M4 semiauto 18 inch barrel, the official shotgun of the Marine Corp..runs about $1800 suggested retail theres usually a mark up. Ive had one for about a year, great reliability, I also use a Mossberg at work (law enforcement) and like that as well.

JSHARP, just caught your post. I like it. I have a lead thrower in every room of the house. there they will stay utill I have kids.

Just get one of these and keep it in your pocket while you're at home. Wife can't see it. Kids can't get it. Other times, get a small security safe and keep it in it. Get it out when you get home.

Pocket gun

While a shotgun is ok if you are well versed in it's use, in the confines of your home, as a SD/HD weapon. A revolver and a flashlight can't be beat for 98% of all home defense uses.

That's my opinion, others will argue the point that bigger is better, But I dare them to stand 20' down range, in their typical winter clothes, and let me shoot them with a solid 40 gr .22LR @ 1200fps, let alone a 180gr,.357 dia. hunk of copper and/or lead traveling @ 1200+fps. And not all burglars are 8' tall, 300 lb meth addicts. They'll know they were shot.

Oh, don't forget... PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And when you're done doing that, PRACTICE some more.

Last edited:
ANything with a short barrel that can handle slugs and buck shot will do. I like the Mosberg 500 prebuilt defense shotguns they are already setup with home defense in mind. THey are built to Mil. Spec. last I checked Remington could not pass the some what new shotgun Mil. Spec. but Mossberg has been passing it since day one!If you get one withthe tefoln finish they are very close to maintence free.

It's my understanding that Remington didn't fail the military test, they didn't even enter it because they knew they couldn't compete price wise (machined steel receiver vs aluminum receiver etc...).

mossy 500 12ga
winchester 1300 12ga

Firing a 170db weapon indoors isnt something I would ever care to do but if you must use a shotgun, the (2) listed above are reliable and dont cost a arm and a leg.

My local gun shop has the mossberg 500 persuader (pistol grip, no stock) for $299. Sounds like a good deal to me, though Ive heard its no fun to fire a 12 gauge without a stock. Can I get a stock for this gun (for relatively cheap) or should I spend a bit more on a shotgun with a stock.

How do you keep a shotgun locked up (from kids) but ready? This is why I have an XD-9 in a lockbox and no shotguns.

Mossberg 88 Maverick (simplified Moss. 500) - $200 and a solid/reliable gun.
Add a pistol-grip and 18" barrel (or just cut off the stock barrel) if you choose.

Last edited:
I had the mossberg 88 maverick awesome gun came with a combo 28 inch and 18 inch barrel. with the 18" barrel on it kicked like a mule. Light gun easy to handle, never had any problems with it composite black stock, really nice cheap gun. I traded it in on a parker hale semi-auto, wish i would have kept the 88.

So far it looks like Mossberg and remington are the top choices. Anybody use a Benelli or have any good info on cost?

I sleep with my Super Black Eagle sometimes. Cheap? no.State-of-the-art? yes. Once you go black, you don't go back...

just FYI
A friend just bought a tactical Benelli Super Nova for about $470 out the door. It's a really nice shooting gun, we've been shooting clay pigeons with it just goofing off.

I'm looking for some ideas for a really decent pump shotgun for my home. I'd like high capacity, extremely durable, smooth action, reliability, and has a good track record already (as in the war in Iraq). I like Benelli (spell?) but don't know the cost of one. I have an old Winchester 1200 that works fine but I want to 'step-up' to a tad more tactical one. Price is important but I'm not one to go cheap either. My eyes just don't cut it anymore for my AR-15 and I like the slight spread and power of a shotgun.
Thanks for any ideas.

andrewg,

Most shotguns now a days are more than adequate for home defense and they don't have to cost allot! I suggest you look into Remington or Mossberg as they cost around the mid two fifty mark and come with the magazine extension already standard. Mine I had to buy mine separate and keep it off as it was considered illegal in California back some 15-20 years ago.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back