Brand choice for a 1/2" impact wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Yeah the matco is the same as the TI. I have a tech that spent an extra 100.00 for the matco one. I could have brained him for that one. One day these kids will learn!!

LMAO! Listen to this one: the Mac guy tried to tell me his impacts are made by Mac! Tar tar tar, hahaha
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Until they started making them in China.
Say it isn't so! I've had my 231 for over 20 years. It will still take the lugnuts off of my Peterbilt.

It was made in Japan.

I'm afraid so..... It literally split in two. I was quite disappointed.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Yeah the matco is the same as the TI. I have a tech that spent an extra 100.00 for the matco one. I could have brained him for that one. One day these kids will learn!!

LMAO! Listen to this one: the Mac guy tried to tell me his impacts are made by Mac! Tar tar tar, hahaha
33.gif

LOL yeah right most of the AW series guns are IR's also. I swear
31.gif

The 231 is still a good gun, and a really good home use unit.

Another vote for IR Titanium. I've had mine for (I think) 7 years now, gets used daily at work. It's fallen on cement floor from 4-5 feet in the air too many times to count. I always cringe but it still keeps going. Still rips off bolts like a hot knife through butter.

No idea where the newest version is produced, lots of air tools (as far as I know) are made in Japan.

You can laugh but the harbor freight earthquake is pretty tough to beat at $65 (on sale with the 20% off coupon). It is an IR clone and built like brick, unfortunately it is as heavy as a brick. But for DIY use it is a great gun. If it breaks within a year take it back and get a new one
wink.gif

I picked up an Aircat 1000th a couple mo ago. I've only used it a few times so far, but it's performed well when I've needed it. Nice and light. Also very quiet.

It's also made in the gool ol' USA for those that factor that into their purchasing decision.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
I picked up an Aircat 1000th a couple mo ago. I've only used it a few times so far, but it's performed well when I've needed it. Nice and light. Also very quiet.

It's also made in the gool ol' USA for those that factor that into their purchasing decision.

Aircats are not made in the USA anymore.

I'll have to double check the manual to be sure as I tossed the box. But, I picked it up only a couple months ago and coulda swore it said made in the USA. That sticks out to me because so little stuff is made here anymore.

They used to be maybe you got an older stock model. Even think IR is building and or sourcing impacts and parts in china.

I just picked up an IR2132G on fleabay NOS for about $120.
This is a nice gun assembled in U.S.A and from the research i have done it seems the parts like the hammers and other high strength parts made in England and Germany.

600lbs and super quiet it blasted some tough nuts off with ease when i tried it out.
After buying my top of the line IR air ratchet i almost fell over when i saw the tiny "made in china" sticker.I wanted the Ti but was afraid it too would be Chinese.I am well satisfied with this gun so far.It is replacing an old American made IR231 that has seen a lot of service.

One minor gripe is there is no boot available for this model,if anyone knows which boot will fit would you please post it.

I'll have to double check the manual to be sure as I tossed the box. But, I picked it up only a couple months ago and coulda swore it said made in the USA. That sticks out to me because so little stuff is made here anymore.

Per the owners manual:

"All our tools are engineered, assembled, and tested in the USA"

FWIW, American made isn't the #1 factor for me when making a purchase, but I do consider it. I was just throwing it out there as I know some weigh it more heavily than others.

My old XPA 107 was assembled in U.S.A. the new XPA 109 was made (not assembled)in China.The owners manual no longer has that statement in it.

My brother and i both bought this ratchet at Air Gas when we picked up some MIG gas his is assembled in U.S.A. but not mine.
His must have been built just before they changed the production facility.

If i had seen this before i would not have bought it.Not that IR is an American company (they are Irish registered with head offices in England) but because the quality of Chinese goods seems spotty even from brand names.

Last edited:
ingersoll makes most of my air guns I've had in the past

I currently have a mac tools brand Ingersoll(I believe) 1/2 gun that is the most amazing gun I've ever used, the trigger is perfect and is easy to modulate the rpm

its the mac tools aw4300

very light and a joy to use, I highly recommend this gun, unless you need something with the absolute most power, and aren't worried about how the gun performs in all other areas. Other then that, get it and you won't be dissapointed. I've seen one other 1/2 inch gun that was stronger.

Last edited:
meangreen01 said:
Per the owners manual:

"All our tools are engineered, assembled, and tested in the USA"

That is not the same as being "made in the USA" and by FTC regulations that cannot be marked as such. Better than nothing though I guess at least they are assembling them here though the parts are all made in China. I know many of their models are completely made in China now.

Sears has an 1/2" on sale for half off. $19.99. Provides 340 ft/lbs. of maximum torque. 5.2 lbs. Not sure if it's any good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back