Oil/filters used in Engine Masters Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up the latest addition of "Engine Masters" and it had the results from the Engine Masters Challenge. While I was reading I checked out what oil and filters the competitors were using. I was suprised at what I found. Out of the 30 competitors 13 used various weights of Mobil 1, 12 used Royal Purple, and the remaining 5 used Lucas. Weights varied from 0w-10 to 20w-50. The winner, John Kaase used Mobil 1 15w-50 in his 404 cid stroked Cleveland small block.

The filters were a little harder to find in the pictures, and I didnt see what everyone was using, but the majority of the filters used were either Moroso Racing filters or Wix/NAPA Gold. A couple of Motorcraft filters were sprinkled in and I did see 1 Fram Racing filter.

I think that I was most suprised by the number of competitors that were using the lighter weights of Mobil 1 without the high levels of Z & P (I guess they could have been using an additive?) with their high spring pressure solid rollers and the fact that some heavier oils were being used even though the competition is about making the most, average power. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
For an 'obsolete' design, the old Cleveland seems to clean everybody's clock with regularity in that competition.
thumbsup2.gif

Built a pile of 351's/400's in my misspent youth; the 400's especially were amazing - with a little intake/cam/exhaust work you had to fight 'em off with a stick.
We'd just stick Castrol GTX 10-30 or 10-40 in there and off we'd go.

Sponsered products. Look at NASCAR everything is sponsered. Then contengency money. The Clevland engine is a small big block Chevy engine made by Ford. IMO the Cleveland is one of the most incredable production performance engines of all times.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Sponsered products. Look at NASCAR everything is sponsered. Then contengency money.

Lucas oil was the only oil sponser this year. I do know that Mobil 1 and Royal Purple have sponsored before however.

IMO the Cleveland is one of the most incredable production performance engines of all times.

The canted head design is still one of the best production head designs of all time. Other than a few oiling issues and a bottom end that is more fragile then the Windsor it could be made into one heck of a motor with just a little work.

Sponsered products. Look at NASCAR everything is sponsered. Then contengency money. The Clevland engine is a small big block Chevy engine made by Ford. IMO the Cleveland is one of the most incredable production performance engines of all times.

Here is a 454 head:

454heads.jpg

heads-2.jpg

Here is a 460 head:

p-51-cylinder-head.jpg

460%20F.JPG

Definitely some similarities.

However, here is a BOSS 302 head:

heads5.jpg

Notice the difference in valve placement, spark plug placement and general layout? Since the heads are completely different sizes, this makes sense. Of course the 385 and Cleveland both lacked the siamesed intake ports as well... A straight shot at the valves from every runner.

Was the 385 and subsequently the BBC the inspiration for Ford using this head design? Yes, I believe it was. But the Cleveland had many changes due to its form factor that set its canted valve setup apart from the BBC. The 385 on the other hand..... has much more in common.

And I agree with your position on the Cleveland. An incredible engine for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back