Kendall GT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running kendall gt1 synthetic oil with liguid titanium, 10w30, in a dirt late model with all aluminun small block, motor builder and kendall tech says it will be fine. It is a high revving motor, 12 quart dry sump system running short dirt tracks, what are some opinions on this choice, I cannot want to spend huge money on other oils if this will do the job, I believe Joe Gibbs race oil is good but if I want to pay for his cup motors I will buy my own. I used to run amsoil or royal purple, both of which i think are quality but very pricey and maybe for the label??? Kendall looks to have all necessary components and is half price, what are your thoughts on this? thanks, Scott

to me the oil weight is more of concern, I would not run a 30 weight oil in a high rpm, high stress engine, old school here but I have changed from the old 20w50. If I was racing I would add least run the Rotella t-6 synthetic 5w40 with more zinc and phos and change regularly.

All the oils you named should work; however, if the engine builder says that Kendall GT1 is okay, I would stick with it. After all, the engine builder knows what clearances were set up in the engine and what grade oil should work best.

Brad Penn is very similar to Kendall GT1 and is relatively inexpensive. $47.00-$48.00 per case of 12.

Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 is great stuff. A lot of the dirt-trackers and drag racers use it with excellent results.

116 octane gas, VP late model plus, I thought that with the weight at first too, but further research shows it will be fine, I never thought of it this way but as the heavy oil can take the heat better it also holds heat longer, motor man wants oil flowing fast through motor to get where it belongs and cool. This is my first race night with this oil and hoping all goes well, it just seems too smart to run oil that doesnt cost a fortune but is still up to the task.

I, for one, think you will be just fine with that Kendall GT1 10W30. If you notice, all Corvettes recommend a 5W30 Synthetic, not the old school 20W50. NASCAR teams race with 30 wt oils - or thinner, not the 50 wt oils, for the reason you mention. (Faster oil flow and cooler oil temperatures).

Keep us posted. Will you do an engine tear down after the race? Good Luck!

The question of oil weight is answered by A) data from the builder, B) an OIL TEMPERATURE GAUGE.

If you don't have B, get one. If you do ask your engine builder what number he expects for normal race conditions, and what number represents the time to save the engine over winning the race.

Ran one night with oil temp up to 220, very happy with that, BUT the conditions were slick and the motor did not work hard by any means. Turned 8700 rpm but not on a wet heavy track and that is where the oil/temps would come in. So far so good. thanks

The Kendall GT1 line has SM GF4 levels of zinc except for the 20w50 and SAE50 weights, which have elevated ZDDP for racing. I would not run a basically PCMO in any race car with those anti wear levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back