Oil spill in the Gulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read they are thinking about lighting it all on fire before the spill reaches the coast and it's the size of Rhode Island. WoW!!! That would be one heck of a fire!! 42000 gallons per/day is pouring into the ocean. There is no way to salvage the oil once it is in the water?

Not to mention the amount of pollutant put into the air. I was thinking why they don't just supertanker suction water into hulls and put them into a filtration process. Or freeze the lake like superman and fly it somewhere less devastating(the sun?).

Seriously though, its going to be nasty, but should make for a good show(bring popcorn, specially if you like pyrotechnics).

What a waste...and if the oil continues to spill into the Gulf, does this mean the fire will 'never' go out????

They are going to burn smaller pools of the stuff and work their way towards the source.
It will burn out, as waves churn and wont allow everything to burn. They don't expect anything to be visible from shore.

The 42,000 gallons will be cut off soon. They are experimenting with ways to divert the flow to reduce pressure and cap the line.

All I know is that it will definitely make an interesting Discovery Channel Episode once they figure out what exactly went on. This type of thing is supposed to be impossible on a modern oil rig.

I think setting fire to the spill before it reaches shore is the best choice based on the history of the wreck of the Torrey Canyon and Amoco Cadiz. Best to burn it off and take the air pollution in exchange for shore contamination, wildlife & fishery losses.

Wondering why the blow out device failed...

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
This type of thing is supposed to be impossible on a modern oil rig.

That is what they want us to believe. All we can hope for now is they can stop it, contain the pollution, and damage to the environment.

The possible air pollution dwarfs the marine damage the oil slick could do.

I notice when speaking of crude oil it's always in terms of barrels yet CNN refers to the spills in gallons.

Gallons is a bigger number than barrels. It makes it out to be an even BIGGER issue because of the number being portrayed.

It's like companies that say $1.99 instead of $2.00. $2.00 looks a lot more expensive than $1.99 but in reality its the same price minus a penny but its a more attractive price.

Stating barrels as gallons sounds like a cover up to me and a gross understatement. I can always remember oil being quoted by the barrel when they refer to disasters. It wouldn't surprise me though if they are intentionally misrepresenting facts.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Stating barrels as gallons sounds like a cover up to me and a gross understatement. I can always remember oil being quoted by the barrel when they refer to disasters. It wouldn't surprise me though if they are intentionally misrepresenting facts.
How many gallons is in the oil industry accepted BBL these days? - I recall it was not = to the 55gal drum but something like 42gal?

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
This type of thing is supposed to be impossible on a modern oil rig.

That is what they want us to believe. All we can hope for now is they can stop it, contain the pollution, and damage to the environment.

This is what I heard an oil exec say recently. Zero chance of a spill because of the fail-safe well head designs now in use. I guess it's back to the drawing board...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How many gallons is in the oil industry accepted BBL these days? - I recall it was not = to the 55gal drum but something like 42gal?

I'm not sure of the amount. Even if it is the lower number (42 gallons to a barrel) the amount would be 42 times greater if they are in fact stating gallons vs barrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back