Fogged headlight lenses...possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something I found, not sure its ever been discussed...take it for what its worth (YMMV!).

While out fixing some peeling clear-coat on my Outback, I accidentally sprayed some clear on my headlights (more like on purpose, just to see what it would do). It took the haziness/cloudiness away...which I figured it would, but I didn't think the paint would last too long on plastic or how it would affect the plastic (possibly "melt" it?).

Being I'm getting ready to sell the car anyway, I coated both lenses with regular clear (in a spray bomb)...lights look like new. Nothing weird happened to either of the lenses. Much better than when I did the headlight restore.

Fast forward to Friday night, and I was wandering around the local hardware store. Much to my surprise, they make Fusion (the paint for plastic) in a clear...and that might just work for a more permanent thing? Although, the scratched surfaces of my lenses will probably give plenty of places for the regular paint to bite in my case.

Now don't get me wrong, this is probably not anything close to a permanent solution, but it will probably last longer than the restore kits and your not grinding away then lens surface either. And in my case, its cheaper than new headlight housings.

I don't know how soon I'll sell the car, but if I keep it a while I will let everyone know how it holds up (I commute 100 miles a day). But it was a little brighter driving to work today!

Please report back....this is one of those things that only time will tell the outcome.

Mine on my tacoma were bad cloudy so I found some aftermarket ones on ebay and showed them to my wife right before mt b'day.....I like 'em alot!

besides cloudy lenses, I see a lot of yellowed lenses, no real easy solution for those except replacement.
good call on the clearcoat though.

There was a thread back last November about using Johnsons liquid floor wax "Future" on the lenses. I tried it and it worked very well, used a foam brush to apply. Still holding up almost 4 months later and thru a very bad winter with all the sand and salt. NO! it did not turn yellow.

Found out later that "Future" is nothing other than an acrylic finish. But it works.

Oh Yes it also takes the haze/foggeness out.

I used Crytal View from Wal-Mart @ $20 from a reco here on BITOG, and it worked as described, applied easily, and hasn't clouded since the original application. Been about a year.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
besides cloudy lenses, I see a lot of yellowed lenses, no real easy solution for those except replacement.

Mine were originally yellow, then I tried restoring them...it removed the yellow, but they soon returned to cloudy. I found when I was grinding on them during the restoring process that I actually removed the scratch-resistant coating in some places getting the yellow off.

So it might take several "steps" to get them to somewhat normal.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

The clear-coat idea could be very good, especially if the clearcoat paint has UV protection built in. The problem with polishing the cloudiness away is that you're actually removing the UV protectant coat on theplastic and it will cloud up even faster the next time.

The real "fix" is glass lenses. I'm eternally grateful that only one of my vehicles has [censored] plastic headlamps. Headlights are one area of auto tech where we've really taken a lot of steps backward, even though the technology is there to go forward. There are some very good lamps out there today, but in GENERAL headlamps were much better when there were about 4 standardized shapes, all reasonably well-designed optically (superbly if you paid for certain brands), and all made with glass lenses.

Today, every car has to have its own custom optical design for custom-shaped headlamps, they're rendered in plastic, and the truth is about half of them are just HORRIBLE optics. Some are borderline dangerously bad (first-generation Chrysler LH cars- especially the Intrepid- come to mind). I actually heard the inside story on that headlight many years ago, and it was entirely an accounting decision that ruined the headlamps for that car line. Back when I owned an LH, I was able to procure and retrofit a set of headlamps from a European Chrysler Vision (their version of the Concorde) and they were a huge improvement. But still made of plastic.

The Crystal View kit and Future acrylic sealant work well. I used the remnants of a half-used CV kit on my headlights, then finished it off with Future when the supplied sealant didn't play with the plastic. They look good so far....

Like I said, its probably not "the" answer...but its another alternative. The lights on this particular car had been "restored" enough that the scratch resistant coating had been compromised in several places...the only answer was new lenses.

If this lasts me even 6 months, I can always do it again.

The lenses on my Corolla had gotten so cloudy, my night vision was almost nonexistant unless I used my highbeams. I bought some Turtle Wax rubbing compound (red can) and after a few applications, my lenses are clear again. This is a much less expensive way to clear up your lenses than the lense kits. Don't waste your money on them. The rubbing compound is less than $3.

I have a question, what is the different between Turtle Wax rubbing and polishing compounds ? Which one is finer ? Or which one is more abrasive ?

I know it's sacrilege to even mention this around here, but traditional tooth paste does work (not the gel kind). Just did this on my old Corolla and it looks like I have brand new head lights. Took some elbow grease, but it does work. Night vision is much improved.

Same with baking soda. A little more water when you get close to being done makes the mix with less abrasion.

Did it to my Cousins truck and it worked pretty well. Just kept the mix going on and rinsed quite a bit. Don't know how long it will last (been 5-6 months) but an improvement.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I know it's sacrilege to even mention this around here, but traditional tooth paste does work (not the gel kind). Just did this on my old Corolla and it looks like I have brand new head lights. Took some elbow grease, but it does work. Night vision is much improved.

My lenses were so fogged over, it would've taken me forever to clear them up using tooth paste. I guess it just depends on how foggy your lenses are. The rubbing compound is course enough to cut through the foginess in a relatively short period of time.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
While out fixing some peeling clear-coat on my Outback, I accidentally sprayed some clear on my headlights (more like on purpose, just to see what it would do). It took the haziness/cloudiness away...which I figured it would, but I didn't think the paint would last too long on plastic or how it would affect the plastic (possibly "melt" it?).

Being I'm getting ready to sell the car anyway, I coated both lenses with regular clear (in a spray bomb)...lights look like new. Nothing weird happened to either of the lenses. Much better than when I did the headlight restore.

Fast forward to Friday night, and I was wandering around the local hardware store. Much to my surprise, they make Fusion (the paint for plastic) in a clear...and that might just work for a more permanent thing? Although, the scratched surfaces of my lenses will probably give plenty of places for the regular paint to bite in my case.

Now don't get me wrong, this is probably not anything close to a permanent solution, but it will probably last longer than the restore kits and your not grinding away then lens surface either. And in my case, its cheaper than new headlight housings.

I had the misfortune of buying a car with 15k miles on it that apparently someone did something like this with.

About six months ago I was removing some tar from the front edge of the hood and left front fender and accidentally dripped some lacquer thinner on the headlight.

The light went opaque where it hit.

It took me about an hour with a buffer and cerium oxide to get this stuff off - I don't think it was just a clearcoat lacquer based on the way it resisted removal.

Based on that experience I would be hesistant to do anything other than buff out or replace a dull headlight.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

I had the misfortune of buying a car with 15k miles on it that apparently someone did something like this with.

About six months ago I was removing some tar from the front edge of the hood and left front fender and accidentally dripped some lacquer thinner on the headlight.

The light went opaque where it hit.

It took me about an hour with a buffer and cerium oxide to get this stuff off - I don't think it was just a clearcoat lacquer based on the way it resisted removal.

Based on that experience I would be hesistant to do anything other than buff out or replace a dull headlight.

You probably just buffed off the "scratch resistant coating" that all headlights have...I can easily remove my clear lacquer with a buffer. At 15k, they shouldn't have needed "fixed"?? Plastic and lacquer thinner don't play well together...I would think it was a reaction between the two, and not a "cover up".

I buffed my headlights to get them clear about a year or so before...the yellowed portion was the scratch resistant coating. Don't think headlights can be buffed multiple times...once that coating is gone, they haze over quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back