Toyota Sequoia Timing Belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fellas I hope I put this in the right spot. I have an 06 Sequoia with 71k on it. It was in the dealer for something and they tried talking my wife into a timing belt and water pump. The manual says 90k to change it.

I'd say they were trying to get some $$$ and you have another 19,000 miles to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the mileage I replaced the timing belt and water pump on my wife's '91 Honda Civic. She put over 200K on that car before we gave it away to a charitable org and it still ran fine.

They were looking to do some additional work and I can understand the suggestion of the timing belt at 71K,they are iffy after 75k.

Are you sure the Sequoia uses a belt? I thought the V8s used chains? I cetainly could be wrong, but even my 1-ZZ on my '06 Corolla S has a timing chain.

If it has a belt and is an interference engine, I would change the belt, if not, it could wait.

Not sure about the water pump, if it has to be removed to change the belt, you might change it, but I have a 5.4 Ford sitting outside with 144K and the original pump and they suggested I change it when they changed the serpent belt 70K ago.

Last edited:
Two schools of thought...change it early for peace of mind and not wanting to get towed, or take your chances and wait until you have more miles on the old one to get more value out of it.

Many people prefer to change the timing belt earlier than the manual says, including myself. Not sure about YOUR engine, but a certain type of engine gets damaged badly when the timing belt fails when it's running.

I didn't know any mainstream cars in 2006 still had timing belts instead of chains. But either way, if the manual says 90k, you should be fine until 90k.

That said, there's certainly no harm in changing it early. And think of it this way: with a 90k change, you'd be good until 180k miles; if you change it now, you're good until 161k. Either way you'll either get rid of the vehicle before the next belt change, or change the belt only once more before getting rid of the vehicle.

IMO, the only question is whether you want it out of your hair now, or whether you'd prefer to hold off on spending the money.

I looked it up too, it has a belt and it drives the water pump. It is an interference engine. If you throw the belt the valves hit the top of the pistons.

It all depends on how long you want to keep it?

If it were mine and I planned on keeping it and funds weren't a problem, I would change the belt and water pump.

You throw that belt, you might as well buy a new motor.

I have the same engine in my truck. I would wait until 90K. The newer Toyota V8's uses a timing chain now and has phased out the older V8's in their trucks.

I have 88,400 miles on my timing belt so it's nearing replacement.

The belt is not going to snap as soon as you hit 91k miles. Toyota allowed a LOT of lee-way when they made the 90k recommendation. So, if you wait until 90k, you still are changing it "early." I would wait until then.

Holy smokes, my friend (F) has a 02 Tundra with a 4.7L and I never would have dreamed that would make it a belt motor. Time to make some calls.....

Last edited:
I just had my wife's 03 Sequoia timing belt changed at 89k. I believe 03 Toyota manual says 6 yrs. / 90,000 mile. We were a little over the 6 yrs. I was watching miles and the 6 years slipped by. Only the belt was recommended to be changed. Check the years recommend in your manual. I think you will be due in 2011 if you don't reach 90k before then. Very good engine.

Manufactures have put a large safety factor into their TB change recommendation. Change it when the owners manual says, unless you are shown in writing that the manufactures has revised their recommendation. JMO. Ed

My wife 2000 Sienna V6 went to 140K before we trade the car in without changing the timing belt. I guess i got lucky?

Most belt will last longer than the OEM stated mileage and time, but it could also be dangerous if it is an interference engine and it doesn't last as long, after all it is statistic that tells you how long they last, like how long a light bulb last.

Whether it is designed for 60k or 90k or 120k depends on the belt system itself. Most belt that goes through 1 cam gear on the head seems to be shorter with more angular turn (180 degree change at the cam gear) than the dual cam gear design. Hence why a civic and corolla recommend a belt job every 60k and Integra/Civic SI/CRV recommend 90k-105k.

I read a book a while back that has a formula for belt life, and it has parameters like gear/pulley radius, how many pulley, and contact surface length vs total belt length, etc.

the toyota 4.7's are still timing belts, they have been using those until recently, when they cut them out in the tundra's, but even some of these new body style tundras have the 4.7

also the honda v6 runs a belt.... the 4 bangers use chains these days, same with Toyota.

a lot of hyundai and kia's use belts.

they are still in wide usage

be fun to search around and find something with the highest miles on the original timing belt without breaking. Wouldn't be hard to do on a non interference engine.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I would wait until 90K. I have never seen a timing belt break early on a Honda no matter how much the car was abused.

This is a Toyota, not a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back