265/70/16 Goodyear Triple Treads rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to voice my evaluation of Goodyear Triple Treads after 18K miles. I am not affiliated with Goodyear in any way.

Most recently on Sunday, 4/25/10, I was traveling from NJ to WV on I-76/I-70 W for nearly three hours of driving in torrential rain. My speeds were between 60-90 mph. And ownly once around 85mph did I sense a hovering sensation and slight drift rightwards due to hydroplaning. BTW they are on a 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4L V6 2WD. I noticed several sedans drifting left and right who switched on their hazards at speeds around 80mph as I passed them on the left. These tires are incredible when it starts raining.

Another tiime I was traveling west towards PA and I was caught in a snow storm and with 2WD I learned very quick;y how to steer out of fish tails. They survived the 350 mile trek east on 7-10" covered highways that had not been plowed yet. Granted I could ownly safely drive at under 40mph. But more importantly they bight when you need them up hills.

My other set of tires are BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs and they hydroplane at the same highway speeds during downpours.

Excellent all-season tires that I would recomend with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Thanks for the report. These would be the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires, right?

Yup that's right Jason. Thanks for the clarification!

I wanted to add that according to Sam's Club at 18k miles the tread depth read 8/32's. I'm hoping to get 50-60k miles from these tires.

I went thru my first winter on this tires (2008 Kia Spectra). Great tires. I had decided to spend extra $$$ on the tires so I would not have to change over in the fall and spring. Tires were great. I drove to work in a FWD car in 4" of snow many times. They handled October rains great too.

Nokian WR is still a better tire, but they are mounted on my AWD Isuzu, so that vehicle has a LOT to do with tire performance.

Last edited:
Yeah I keep hearing about these Nokians. I thought they were cell phone related at first. My next set of tires might just be the Nokian WRG2 SUV.

Initially I thougt the radical tread design on the Fortera TT's was just for looks but I soon realized how form meets function quite nice.

"8/32's is little wear for 18K."

They started at 12/32, so half the useable tread is gone if you trust whomever measured them.

A coworker of mine just swapped out hi triple treds before he sold his car. They had roughly 70K (miles) on them, and still drove well.

He loved them!

GY FTT take hard cornering really well too. Most of the snow is melted up here, so I now take on-ramps harder than in wither. No tire squeal, no loose rear end, car just keep going.

Nokian tires are very popular up here. Mine are first generation WR SUV, G2 must be terrific. In 35K miles tread depth went from 8mm to about 6mm (depth indicators are built in the tire), which is great for an all-season tire.

Last edited:
Now I've got a benchmark to shoot for. I'll be happy if my set gets 50-60k.

Yeah I'm still alive thanks for your concern though. The majority of automobile drivers that evening were traveling at that pace. I'd be causing traffic in the right lane if I went any slower.

GY FTT do their job as advertised when it comes to preventing hydroplaning and do it well.

I don't have the FTT, but I have the regular TTs. Love em. Great dry traction as ursae said. I can take a very sharp yet steady rate onramp at about 50 and it is taking it in stride- and the cavalier isn't exactly known for it's cornering ability. Winterwise, they work well, I'm sure nowhere near the level of a dedicated winter tire. Wet traction is excellent as mentioned. Quiet enough, and smooth ride at 36psi cold. Only 13,000 miles on them so will update with treadwear at 20k miles.

I think you'll be lucky to get 40K out of them. Someone already pointed this out, but you already lost 4/32s in 18K. You are about half-way to replacement -- assuming they keep wearing at the same rate. Once a tire gets down to 4/32s or less, there's really not much use left -- especially in winter. I'm not saying they aren't great tires. I just don't think they are on their way to lasting 60k.

My Fortera HLs are down to 6-7/32nds @ 18K. I'll be lucky if I don't have to replace them before 30k. I won't drive on them bald.

I always cringe when I see the e-bay listings for used tires. The tires will be down to 5/32s, and they'll say "50% treadlife remaining". NO -- you can't run them down to 0/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back