Napa Gold vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would show the difference between the two. The biggest difference is $5 (Fram is cheaper) other than that, they both had the same amount of pleats, they both seal in the air box well and are both well made. The Fram (on the right) has about 5,000 miles on it so far.

dscn2573wc.jpg

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Man I wish I had a cabin air filter. None of our cars have one. Maybe the mustang does, but I doubt it.

Just so you know, this is the engine air filter.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Man I wish I had a cabin air filter. None of our cars have one. Maybe the mustang does, but I doubt it.

Just so you know, this is the engine air filter.

Ah. They look more like CAF I've seen before than an engine filter.

The Mustang does have one.

I thought I would show the difference between the two. The biggest difference is $5 (Fram is cheaper) other than that, they both had the same amount of pleats, they both seal in the air box well and are both well made. The Fram (on the right) has about 5,000 miles on it so far.

Is it the dirty side up ? Or the clean side up ? If it's dirty side up then it can be used for 25-30k miles more.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Is it the dirty side up ? Or the clean side up ? If it's dirty side up then it can be used for 25-30k miles more.

Dirty side up, I think (I forgot already). I took it out to check it and wanted to compare it to the NG. It's back in the car now.

Last edited:
I've used FRAM before too for air filters. I swear they all come from the same place (depending on the model of the filter)

But I do still buy Napa Golds because I get a good price through my local connection at Napa... I buy all my filters there, cabin, oil, air.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

The Mustang does have one.

Uh-oh. You know what that means...

I can't imagine why. It's a convertible, doesn't make much sense. But since it has over 30k on it, unless the dealer replaced it, I'll get it replcaed before long.

Honda S2000 is a convertible and has cabin filter and has air conditioning too. When I have the top down, which is often even in winter months in So Cal, I have the air circulated so that no fresh as coming in to the car through the cabin filter, there are more than enough air through the top and the side. I only let the fresh air coming in through the cabin filter when it was raining and the top was up.

Last edited:
I can't imagine why. It's a convertible, doesn't make much sense. But since it has over 30k on it, unless the dealer replaced it, I'll get it replcaed before long.

You never drive with the top up and windows closed? Some people drive convertibles in the winter too.

We have discussed this here before:

Air filter quality is not consistent across any brand's entire line. The NAPA Gold for my Caravan is superb, the NG for my daughter's Sebring doesn't fit well and looks like poo (Fram is better in this application).

One needs to investigate several brands of air filters for any particular car model to at least pick one the fits well and "looks" of high quality.

Originally Posted By: daman
Are the pleats thicker on the NG or does it just look like it?

It's the same. The old Fram type had thinner but more pleats, more paper type. This new style has been around for about 8 months now. The Fram doesn't say where it's made, but the NG is made in Poland. The gasket is slightly different, but both seal very nice when i put the top of the air box on.

What did we ever do before cabin air filters

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

What did we ever do before cabin air filters

Would really help my allergies in the spring and fall.

Every once in a while Napa will have a sale on gold and reg oil filters. They had one a couple months back, $1 for their base filter and I got a gold for 4.50!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back