Amsoil reducing Eao13 and others intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

Just saw an update that Amsoil has decided to recommend oem intervals on some of their filters. Eao13 included for many models. That is a pretty common filter. I wonder what this means when using other Eao13 or 51356 manufactures filters. Maybe running your P1 for extended drains isn't a great idea anymore? I can't imagine that a Ea filter would reach maximum capacity faster than a P1?

http://www.amsoil.com/eao_change_intervals.aspx

This is old news, right?
The theory I have is this: when you attempt 25,000 miles with amsoil oil, but there are traces of mineral oil from previous oil changes or even additive carrier oil, that residual oil will sludge up and end up in the filter.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This is old news, right?
The theory I have is this: when you attempt 25,000 miles with amsoil oil, but there are traces of mineral oil from previous oil changes or even additive carrier oil, that residual oil will sludge up and end up in the filter.

Not sure, just noticed it was on the top line of headlines or whatever on their website the last time I went on it. Just figured that you can't really throw all filter numbers under a certain "good for mileage" by what filter line it is.

I guess I just don't understand why their extended oil change filter would have problems but say a Mobil 1 or Fram Extended Guard would run into the same issues with the same smaller filters?

They may well encounter issues. The whole point of the EaO was to enable one year filter changes. I think that Purolator and XOM via Champion Labs will encounter the same issues with those same engines under that same condition that were encountered by Amsoil.

They don't exclusively see one year sumps. They don't promote (virtually) open ended mileage numbers.

They both probably have the ability to endure claims against the product and will suffer not for the few incidences of those issues.

If you want a comparable event, look no further than the introduction of Mobil 1's first offering. The 5w-20 oil was promoted as a "blind" product, good for anyone and everyone for ONE YEAR or 25,000 miles. After a year or two of gaining market share in a relatively niche market segment, they took that product off the market for (iirc) over a decade. The silver canned 5w-20 was gone, replaced with 5w-30. Their recommendations changed to include exclusions for diesels and turbo charged/super charged engines ..and recommended following the OEM recommendation under warranty.

Did it work in "most" engines? Sure it did. Did it work out enough for them to endure the hits in terms of claims and whatnot? Possibly. Did it make sense to continue with the same blanket recommendation and potentially destroy their reputation?

Apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back