3/8" ratchet feedback needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I want to buy a GOOD 3/8" ratchet, something I can keep for 50yrs and give to my kids. We have the Proto standard pear-shape at work and 7" seems a bit short:

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?...ltCatalog=PROTO

Snap-On seems exorbitant; Westward seems cheap, but no direct experience. Craftsman (Canada) is too cheap now. I am awaiting info from McMaster Carr re their rachet MFG, as we order from them frequently. Any input appreciated.

Well I have gone through several Snapon 3/8 ratchets when using them at work. and The craftsman my dad bought me when I was 16 years old still works fine and I am 57. If the tool has a lifetime guarantee and feels good buy it . I found a newer Craftsman ratchet on the side of the road during a bike ride last summer and it seems fine"good enough".

I have Made in USA Craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets for more than 20 years and still working perfectly. It was very good quality then, I don't know how is the Craftsman quality now. One good thing about Craftsman hand tools is you can exchange for another whenever it fails and receipt is not needed.

The craftsman 3/8 ratchet I got in my tool set when I was a teen still works. Snap-on is a better quality but the craftsman is not near bad.

I even saw this "professional" line of ratchets at sears that looks pretty heavy duty, no plastic parts.

I happen to like Snap-on's T-72(1/4), F-80(3/8) and S-80(1/2) series of ratchets. Just buy what ever flavor you need. I am also partial to a long Matco 88 that I got a few months back and three old Mac ratchets that I picked up in the early 70's.

Proto, Williams and Wright also make some fine rats (the new handles on the Wrights is very nice). The new Cornwell ratchets look nice in the pictures that I have seen of them but I have not seen a driver in this area in years. SK ratchets are bullet proof but I never liked the handles and the knurling on them.

I also have the Sears Pro line but the 1/2 drive handle is too bulky and the 3/8 is almost as bad. The 1/4 drive is nice though.

All in all, if I had to have one ratchet, it would be a Snap-on 3/8 drive long flex head. They are bullet proof and run very smooth. Second in line would be a long 3/8 drive Matco 88 without the flex head.

Edit: By the way, all of the ratchets above are made in the good old USA if that is important to you.

Last edited:
Thrity two years ago I bought two 3/8 inch ratchets from Snap-on, they still work like new. Every couple of years I take the back off and re-grease them. One is a standard issue and the other one has a quick release button on it.

There is no ratchet built better then a Snapon ratchet, even the sears pro line is junk. It's polished to look pretty and comforts but the gears are cheap. It's the same guts that in the cheaper ratchets with square handles.

Now if your just backyard wrenching you can probably get away with craftsman. In a professional world to leave a dealer to trade a ratchet is lost money

Snapon ratchets
Snapon impact sockets
Matco regualr sockets
IR air tools
Snapon Flank drive wrenches
Snapon screwdrivers
The rest of my stuff is mixed between Snapon and Matco.

Last edited:
I would have to agree that Snapon ratchets, sockets and wrenches are by far the best but at work I have broken and wore my share of sockets and even broke a line wrench. Home tools do not see the use and abuse of commercial use in most instances. I have had better luck with IR air tools than with Snapon air wrenches . We ran the service van compressors an 175 psi so the airtools would work real good.

Hi, the BEST is from Amazon, I really like something with an extendable handle, because I am not strong enough to untorque everything, being an office worker. go to amazon, and buy:
Ampro T29766 1/4-Inch & 3/8-Inch Dual-Drive Standard Extendable Ratchet. i own the one that only has the 3/8 drive, but this one has the dual drive, and it is less than 20$, shipped.
just because it is not snapon, or sears, means nothing nowadays. there are many highly good tools available, for cheap, if you do your shopping.

I have heard many people boast SK ratchets and sockets. I have used many cheaper ratchets but my favorites so far have been snap on, and proto. no first had experience with SK. I have also heard some good stuff about Wright tool Co.

The Canadian Sears line has long been a progressively cheaper offshore MFG. As per SK, Wright, MAC, Matco, Cornwell and Wright - not sure where to purchase locally. I can locate a Snap-On dealer locally and the F80 ratchets are nice. Thanks guys for all of the excellent feedback.

I really like SK ratchets, I have some hand me downs from my dad that are SK and work awesome, good engagement, the whole 9.

This may come as a surprise, but my favorite ratchet to use for features and overall feel of quality, is my Mastercraft MAXIMUM ratchets. I really love them.

Good engagement.
Push button socket removal.
Toggle style selector for direction.
and light weight, quality feel.

I suggest you give them a serious look.

The point to my post:

The older SK ratchets my dad gave me are still working and feel good.

The new Mastercraft Maximum stuff I've had for a year or 2 feels like it will probably be working fine when I pass. They're excellent if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Hi, the BEST is from Amazon, I really like something with an extendable handle, because I am not strong enough to untorque everything, being an office worker. go to amazon, and buy:
Ampro T29766 1/4-Inch & 3/8-Inch Dual-Drive Standard Extendable Ratchet. i own the one that only has the 3/8 drive, but this one has the dual drive, and it is less than 20$, shipped.
just because it is not snapon, or sears, means nothing nowadays. there are many highly good tools available, for cheap, if you do your shopping.

I can hear the snickers from them :)

If only Amazon would sell it for $200, then they might be interested. They will not be caught dead with $20 ratchet.

Walmart used to carry Stanley Rotator Ratchet for $22, unfortunately, I have not been able to find it now. Gear Wrench also sells similar RotoRatchet at fair price.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
There is no ratchet built better then a Snapon ratchet,

Snapon are fine but arguably not the best.Many would claim that title is owned by Stahlwille with Hazet following a close second.Snapon appears closer to Hazet in quality.
Neither come close to the über quality of Stahlwille but you pay a high premium for it.

This Stahwille ratchet is a beauty. I'll email their sales dept but it will be >$100USD

512qr_fot_022.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back