Mixing 1/2 liter of 5w-40 with 7 liters 5w-30 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be fine.

Think of it this way: On some cars, up to a quart (or more, if oil coolers are involved) never drains when you change the oil. So, if you were running one oil and decided to switch to another, a quart or so would be the old stuff and the rest would be new.

It's always best to stick to one oil, but a little bit of something else floating around in there probably won't hurt.

Originally Posted By: badnews
One would need a year of make and engine

I'm guessing he's got a late model BMW diesel power plant that calls for LL-04 oil, hence he's using M1 ESP.

Looks like M1 ESP 5w-30 carries the spec while M1 ESP 5w-40 does not. Still, with only half a liter of it in there, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Last edited:
One would need a year of make and engine type to answer with any veracity

BMW 335D.

BMW oil rating is LL04 however Castrol doesn't provide a LL04 oil to BMW dealerships in the U.S., they instead provide a MB 229.51 spec oil (SLX OE Prof). The 335D can run 'any' 30w/40w oil as long as it's Low-SAPs (ACEA C3).

My opinion is that 1/2 liter wouldn't hurt since both are ESP and M1 just never submitted the 40W for BMW certification because BMW fills with 30w in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Why?

Because then there's no chance of competing chemistries.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Why?

Because then there's no chance of competing chemistries.
Except they are more alike than different .

Mix away, I've done oil changes on my old Saturn with whatever I could find in the garage... (4 brands once, including topoff through the OCI though) Of course, its an old Saturn, but its fine.. It just likes oil, regardless of brand/weight, etc :p

Your BMW was a nice car.
Too bad it has probably died by now.
Oh well.
Seriously, a half quart of olive oil would probably do no harm.
I would use your half quart of 5W-40 without a second thought.
One fifteenth of the oil volume cannot cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
One would need a year of make and engine type to answer with any veracity

BMW 335D.

BMW oil rating is LL04 however Castrol doesn't provide a LL04 oil to BMW dealerships in the U.S., they instead provide a MB 229.51 spec oil (SLX OE Prof). The 335D can run 'any' 30w/40w oil as long as it's Low-SAPs (ACEA C3).

My opinion is that 1/2 liter wouldn't hurt since both are ESP and M1 just never submitted the 40W for BMW certification because BMW fills with 30w in the US.

I agree with you

I'm going to change oil of the '00 E430 in a few weeks. I just checked my inventory, I have 4 quarts M1 15W50 SL I bought from Pep Boys 6-7 years ago and 6 quarts M1 0W20 SM. Neither weight is in the MB 229.3 list. I'm going to use 6 quarts 0W20 and 2 quarts 15W50. The current fill is Synpower 5W20 which is not in the MB 229.3 list either.

The OCI's on '00 E430 is 1 year or when FSS went down to zero (it passed zero by 500 miles on the very first oil change) whichever is first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back