Bobcat CT122

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I bought a new little tractor to use around the yard. It is not heavy equipment but this looked like the best place to ask my question.

The little Bobcat CT122 tractor has a 3 cylinder 22hp diesel engine and the recommended oil weights to use are all over the place in the hand book. 5W30 -- 20W50 are listed and they don't seem to even recommend a diesel oil for it. It seems that I can't go wrong with Rotella T 15W40 in it and maybe next year move over to Amsoil AMO 10W40 so it will use the same oil as my Jeep and gen sets.

Does this seem like a good plan?

I have a Ford 1900 my uncle bought in new in 1985 and sold it to me in 2003. It also has a 3cyl diesel engine in it. I use the Amsoil 15w40 Heavy duty diesel and marine oil in it. He also has used Amsoil in it since it was new and we have never had a problem with it has over 2500 hours on it. I would defently recommend the the Amsoil I don't see how that 10w40 oil would hurt but maybe one of the Amsoil Reps on here will answer that for sure.

Go over to tractorbynet.com for general tractor talk. I have a Kioti CK25HST which is the same as a bobcat CT225-CT235 only difference is hp between the models.

Your plan sounds excellent. I switched my Kioti over to Amsoil AME last year at the 1st oil change. In roughly 10 more hours I am going to sample it just to see how the oil is holding up. AMO is a great option as is ACD. I may use 2 quarts AME and 1 gallon ACD at my next oil change.

I'm really liking this little tractor! It really seems to be earning it's keep around here. It was over filled with oil from the dealer by about 1/2 quart so after about 4 hours of use I drained the oil and topped it back off with Rotella 15W40. I left the filter alone, I just didn't want it to be over full.

It took about 3 quarts to top it back off so it was no big deal to dump the oil. I think it holds something like 3.6 quarts total.

I'm not sure about the bobcats but 3.6 quarts does not sound right to me. My 3 cylinder 25hp Kioti basicly the same engine holds 6 quarts. Check the owners manual for capacity.

I just checked the book and it says:

Fuel 5.3 gal
Oil and filter 3.4 qt
Cooling system 6.0 qt

It says to change the oil and filter every 100 hours.

That really does seem like a small amount of oil for a diesel.

The oil capacity difference is interesting. According to Wix it uses the same filter as a hyundai/kia which is roughly half the size of the filter on the CT225 and up. 100 hours seems to be their standard interval. Using fords 33mph per idle hour as a rule of thumb 100 hours is basicly 3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back