Temperature Sending Unit Chevy Astro Van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the Temperature Sending Unit located on a 1991 Chevy Astro Van with a V6 Motor?
A friends gauge stopped working in his and he would like to change the sensor, but we can figure out where it is located.
Thanks.

It's likely the gauge, not the sender. The sender for the gauge is on the drivers side of the block near the front of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: cchase
It's likely the gauge, not the sender. The sender for the gauge is on the drivers side of the block near the front of the vehicle.

I believe under the first two plugs.

Originally Posted By: JMac101
Where is the Temperature Sending Unit located on a 1991 Chevy Astro Van with a V6 Motor?
A friends gauge stopped working in his and he would like to change the sensor, but we can figure out where it is located.
Thanks.
4.3 ?

i got it out and swapped it but the gauge still doesnt work. I changed the temp sending unit and the thermostat and still no gauge activity.

You should have simply checked the resistance of the present unit, before getting a new one.
Now, wiring, connectors, or the dash gauge are next.

your right but the electrical connection snapped off the old one anyway so either way it needed replacement.

There might be two temperature sending units. One for the Engine Computer and one for the gauge. I know the one for the gauge is near the drivers side exhaust manifold.

The temp sensor for the guage is usually a 1-wire sensor.

The sensor for the ECM has a 2-wire weatherpack type connector with a locking tab on it.

The OE gauge sensors with a nail head shaped post on the sensor end sometimes had connector corrosion problems.

Usually a replacement sensor will require you to splice on a spade connector if it is one of those types however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back