Carbide inserts in mower blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad used mower blades that had a piece of carbide welded into the area that was sharpened to an edge and that actually did the cutting. The sharp edge lasted a long time. I don't know where he bought them and was wondering if anyone knows where they can be purchased today.

I would think there could be a liability issue if the carbide edge came off or shattered.

I've currently got one of those gator mulch blades on order for myself, and I'll be trying it out later this week. Hopefully it will pack clippings better (by cutting them smaller) and grind the tree leaves to a powder as advertised.

Overall from the people who have used them and from reviews on the internet, they are excellent, and you don't have to sharpen them every year like a traditional lawnmower blade. I'm not sure who sharpens them, you can't use a normal blade grinder on carbide.

There are also "hard surface" welding rods available. My dad used them on shredder blades, plow/cultivator tips and eventually our lawnmower blade. I don't think that old man ever bought another blade for his $39.99 Kmart special mower I had to push throughout my childhood.

Carbide can't be welded. However I have silver soldered carbide to lathe tool bits many times. Also I have tig welded high speed steel to a regular LM blade for a harder cutting edge. Downside to that is it is very brittle and cracks off easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back