Aftermarket Transmission Drain plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who uses them?

I own 3 cars and take care of several others and am thinking about installing some Aftermarket Transmission Drain plugs.

It will just make life easier to do a drain and fill.

Who has experience with them?
The good, the bad, and the ugly is welcome.

Thanks.

I have used the the Fram sure-drain plug for years without a problem. I use them to drain directly into a milk jug. I thought someone said they stopped making them though. There are something like 4 sizes, however, they don't sell the small one for Civic's.

Did you mean you want to put one in a pan that doesn't have one? I think the B&M is the one most often talked about.

Just do a google search for B&M drain plug kits.

Yep, I have found the B&M.
But I am making sure that they have maintained their quality, that there isn't something better our there for the money, and what the overall consensus was about installing one was.

I just worry about drilling a hole in a drain pan, and realizing the drain plug I bought is junk and I then would need a new drain pan.
Although I wouldn't mind a larger pan in my Truck, or on the Bus I work on, but the last time I checked new (larger capacity) pans are not cheap.
Well, not as cheap as a drain plug.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Did you mean you want to put one in a pan that doesn't have one? I think the B&M is the one most often talked about.

Just do a google search for B&M drain plug kits.

ohhhh thats what he wants to do.

I just put on whatever O'reilly had(Dorman?). Had the pan off anyways to drain and change filters, so I figured why not add one to make future drains easier?

Had to drill the hole for it, but it's not a big deal as long as you get all the metal shavings cleaned up. I used a step bit and went slowly to be sure the hole was only as big as needed. Just make sure you put in a place where the it won't have clearance issues(mine sticks into the pan about 3/4", hangs below the same). I got lucky as I didn't consider that aspect and came close to having to buy a new pan.

I can't see much that can go wrong w/ the drain or any reason to spend extra $$ on a name brand(I think I paid $5 for mine). Tighten everything up securely and check for leaks.

I will say the only downside on mine is that it came w/ a rubber o-ring to seal the plug to the drain body. It distorted easily when I torqued it down so I just ran to the hardware store and bought some thick rubber gaskets out of the plumbing dept.

3k miles, no leaks, nice and tight. All's good

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Who uses them?

I own 3 cars and take care of several others and am thinking about installing some Aftermarket Transmission Drain plugs.

It will just make life easier to do a drain and fill.

Who has experience with them?
The good, the bad, and the ugly is welcome.

Thanks.

I bought the B&M Trans Drain Plug for my Marauder since I did not want to spend $70.00 for a trans pan with a drain plug.

I eventually did buy the $70.00 pan and I will tell you why, the drain plug had a very small leak, my mistake was I probably should have welded the nut that goes on the inside of the pan.

This B&M Trans Drain Plug takes forever for the fluid to drain, since the opening is very small.

My new pan with the drain plug already in it has a much larger opening , if you use the B&M Trans Plug, get it welded on because no copper or plastic washer will keep it from leaking.

I installed a B&M or similar drain plug on my wagon. I used blue loctite on the threads and let them cure/dry before I installed the pan. That was about a year ago and so far so good.

I welded my own boss inside the pan( Focus) then drilled a hole for a 3/8 bolt with a gasket. Works great.

I have my own home mach. shop equipment and made up my own adapter to weld to the outside of the pan, adapter was drilled and taped for drain plug with gasket and after welding onto pan pan was drilled for draining. No big deal as long as the pan is steel, really no big deal in you have the equipment to weld aluminum, either.

I used the B&M and like the previous poster, it seeped. Plus, it allowed some oil to remain inside the pan. Eventually, I did what jcwit did and welded in a plug bung that let all the fluid drain. Even if you can't do that yourself, it's a five minute job for a welder and the pan is easy to transport. Be sure to leak test the weld before you install the pan. I'm no great welder, mine seeped and I had to pull the pan a second time. Ahem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meangreen01
This look like the one I put on:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-65128-...8805&sr=8-3

I prefer the Dorman drain plug kit because the drain plug is not a pipe plug, like the one on the B&M kits.

I also use a Parker Stat-O-Seal instead of the o-ring seal on the plug. No seepage or other issues.

Not getting all the fluid out isn't really a concern for me; there's still a lot of fluid in the torque converter anyway.

I installed the Ford factory "U-Haul" pan with a built-in drain plug on one of my cars, but for some reason I still cannot recall I put a B&M drain plug on the other one. No leaks from either.

I made up a tansmission drain plug for my Civic. I smashed out the woeful factory magnet, and installed a high temperature Neodymium magnet.

I put the Dorman on all 3 of our vehicles. In each case I used high temp rtv on the included plastic washers. Been a few years can't say I've seen any of them leak.

Initially glue inside nut with rtv to check for throttle body clearance before drilling.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
I put the Dorman on all 3 of our vehicles. In each case I used high temp rtv on the included plastic washers. Been a few years can't say I've seen any of them leak.

Initially glue inside nut with rtv to check for valve body clearance before drilling.

Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back