Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks, I decided on PU for the 98 Lexus ls400 I just bought. $28 at Walmart is pretty good. I won't do extended OCIs. I bought a Mobil One filter, which is what I've been using for more than 10 years on previous cars. But I noticed all kinds of other alternatives now. Bosch ( about half the price), K&N (same price). Even a "high end" Fram.

What's the thoughts on filters these days? I'm not really looking to buy an inferior filter to save a few bucks. BUT if I can get the same quality for less, I'm there!

Chip

Lots of discussion on similar subject in the Filter subforum already. You may want to browse some of the recent threads there.

better start up flo, better high heat. I live in NM and drive at 80 in 100 degree temps in the winter

I would buy the Fram extended Guard for half the price of a Mobil 1 and a better filter in my opinion. I dont go extended oil changes, but split the difference on synthetic to 5000 miles. I use the regular Purolator filters. I ussually get the syn for the same price as conventional on clearances and specials though.

Not running an extended OCI, but want a solid filter, why not a Pure One? Excellent efficiency, ~$5.75-$6.50. Lower end price at Kmart, upper at Advance Auto.

Or
Fram XGuard also a good choice at ~$8, but I wouldn't pay the extra for a standard OCI. But, that's just me.

cjgreenberg - welcom to the site!

Presuming your going to stick to OEM OCIs, there is no significant advantage to running a premium filter or oil; you simply don't get the ROI.

Any decent brand of quality dino oil and a "normal" filter will do your rig right, and it will never know that it wasn't fed the high end stuff.

Search over the UOA data. Review the wear metals. You will not find less wear when using synthetics or premium filters for short-to-moderate OCIs.

It's false presumtion to think that the wear rate is less in these circumstances. Synthetics are fantastic at reducing wear over LONG intervals, compared to dino; but that's not true in lower OCIs. The wear rates are nearly identical up to the point where dino is finally depleted. Only then will the premium oil/filters show an advantage. Don't be fooled by marketing hype and internet mythology. Do the research. I would challenge anyone to show me statistical proof via UOA data or white paper studies that wear in reduced on a equal ratio to the cost of premium products, when looking at OEM OCIs. You'll spend perhaps 3x more money on the oil, 2x more money on the filter, and get little to no wear reduction.

The "heat" you experience is not an issue with a liquid cooled engine, especially with todays well made engines, quality dino lubes, and well made off-the-shelf filters.

Extended OCIs are a different story. Here, premium products clearly can excel well past the "normal" fluids/filters. They are a savings tool to reduce OCI supplemental purchases; they are not mirical workers.

Conceptually, you should expect to get either
1) 3x lower wear for the same short OCI (data proves this), or
2) 3x more duration from the lube/filter
You won't get option 1 to pay out, but you can get the second to pay out IF you push out the OCI far enough.

If you doubt my advice, then why not experiment? Run a few 5k mile OCIs with the PU and Mobil 1 filter; do the UOAs. Then run PYB and a white-can Purolator for a few cycles. See if your wear metals and insolubles are 3x lower. You're spending at least that much to purchse the premium products; you should expect your money's worth! That goes for both the oil and the filters! I think you'll become enlightened.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above except the part where modern engines dont get the kind of heat abuse. These new engines are right up tight aginst the heat parameters to burn off any emmisions and toxins. They purposely run them as Hot as they can and another reason I dont like extended oil runs, is because alot of pollutants get dumped back into the oil, instead of going out the tailpipe, with all the EGR and emmission equipment, oil has it harder than ever. I sometimes thought that another reason they use 5w20 oil is because it gets so much "stuff" dumped back into it and would have to thicken, like diesel oil does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back