Toro 2 Cycle Suzuki...good engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need a cheap replacement for my old mower and I was looking around and found a couple of people selling older Toro lawn mowers with the 2 Cycle Suzuki engine on them, never tried them didnt even know suzuki made small engines, these engines any good/reliable?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a twenty year old Echo lawnmower with a 140 cc Suzuki two stroke engine on it. Fear not. It's about as good as any you'll find and better than most. Suzuki have a very long history of building fantastic two stroke engines. Go for it.

I think that's what's on my Lawn-Boy. I have a '91 model which was leaned out to barely run but I took care of that issue.

It's pushing 20 years old,, still mows the back 40. Can't be all bad.

You don't see a lot of the Toro commercial series Suzuki powered jobs around anymore. I don't have any experience with this engine on a pushmower, but do with the snowthrower application. Same engine. They're powerful little buggers w/ a heavy flywheel for a small 2-stroke. IMO they were more sensitive to leaning out than say an old school Lawnboy, which is why you'll see more Suzukis from this application in the junk heap.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
What do you mean by "leaning out"?

Running too small of a main jet to keep emissions and fuel consumption low.

You can replace or increase the size of the main jet to alleviate the lean condition. I never had a lean issue with mine so I'm not sure if there are main jets readily available for the carb. Maybe someone else can provide some guidance with that.

Originally Posted By: JTK
You don't see a lot of the Toro commercial series Suzuki powered jobs around anymore. I don't have any experience with this engine on a pushmower, but do with the snowthrower application. Same engine. They're powerful little buggers w/ a heavy flywheel for a small 2-stroke. IMO they were more sensitive to leaning out than say an old school Lawnboy, which is why you'll see more Suzukis from this application in the junk heap.

Joel

Don't believe the above statement(s). The 2 stroke, Suzuki powered Toro is a "hands down" better engine than any Lawn Boy 2 cycle engine. If not abused, advantages are: A) more durable B) Less tempermental (surging) and C) better quality of parts, coils etc.

I own: two 6 1/2 HP, 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers (last made in 2004).
one 2 cycle Suzuki powered Toro 21" mower
one 2 cycle Wisconsin Robin Snapper 21" mower
1 - 2 cycle, 5 hp Suzuki powered, single stage snowblower.

Back in the day, more Landscapers used Suzuki powered Toros than the other two combined. Now if you come across a rare Wisconsin Robin mowered mower - chain and lock it up. Your grandkids will be using this mower, because you won't be able to kill it, yourself. I will post pictures later this summer.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

Don't believe the above statement(s).

Never said it was a bad engine, I'd take one on a heavy aluminum decked commercial mower in a heart-beat. It's just that in my particular area, I've seen quite a few of them junked when 'surfing' for parts. You usually find them on eBay with toasted engines as well. OTOH, old Lawnboys from the 60-70's+ seem to buzz on forever.

Joel

I'd say that to destroy a Suzuki two cycle mower engine, extreme abuse must be involved. Likely inexperience people dumping straight gasoline into the fuel tank, failure to use an air filter and failure to keep the cooling fins clear. I've had my two stroke Suzuki engine on my Echo spinning up to 6500 rpm and it was still pretty smooth at those speeds. I now run it between 3000 and 4000 rpm and it cuts grass! I'm not saying it's the best two stroke lawn mower engine ever made. However, I've yet to see a better one.

I second Johnny's opinion. Grab it right now! That is essentially the 2 cycle Toro mower that I have. The engine is "bulletproof". It does not make engine sounds like your typical screaming lawn mower. More like an outboard marine engine.

That, my friend is a commercial, landscaper engine. The actual model that landscapers used differed only by having a larger gas tank and steel wheels.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I'd say that to destroy a Suzuki two cycle mower engine, extreme abuse must be involved. Likely inexperience people dumping straight gasoline into the fuel tank...

Agreed.

the toro suzuki i bought used 19 years ago for my lawn biz is still on the job with only carb repairs . this should give you an idea how good they are.

Thanks for all the input guys i'm going to go have a look at it sometime this weekend. If it starts up well and everything checks out I will probably buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back