F1 Racer blows both front wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored]
shocked2.gif

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4d0_1272045872

There was a failure on the right side upright which then increased the load on the left side upright beyond operation capacity. The wheel tethers attach to the uprights so they left the vehicle.

Per the Technical Regulations exotic alloys are banned for uprights so the teams had to scramble to make aluminum uprights that were as close to the weight of the composite ones. Torro Rosso said these had too much material taken away. However since there is no testing, this was a public failure instead of a private failure that could have been caught in testing.

Somebody tried some new suspension components that weren't up to the job. Probably trying to shave weight off- Shoulda done more test runs....

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Somebody tried some new suspension components that weren't up to the job. Probably trying to shave weight off- Shoulda done more test runs....

Thats exactly what they were doing, however testing is banned in F1. Seven post shakers and FEA can only test so much as compared to actual on track time.

The F1 no-test rule is not only stupid, but now proves to be dangerous. Even local dirt-track guys get practice time on our local track. F1 survives in spite of the powers that be.

Well, the F1 teams do get test time on the track they are going to race on. Its just to even the field so the big teams don't get 10 times the running time a small team does.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well, the F1 teams do get test time on the track they are going to race on. Its just to even the field so the big teams don't get 10 times the running time a small team does.

They get pre season testing, and the Friday practice sessions. If they have a new driver that meets certain circumstances they can have a test day if the other teams agree. But no in season testing like they used to do to test new designs that they come out with for each Grand Prix. Everything is wind tunnel and CFD tested.

This particular failure could have been revealed in a straight line test. But who does straight line tests?

The no testing rule brought testing from one extreme to the other, as the smaller teams will never catch up with Friday testing alone. There needs to be controlled testing, perhaps on a monthly basis.

Reminds me of the A-Team show from the 70s. There is a single spot on the front of a car that if you shoot it, the hood flies open and all the wheels come off.

A small stone kicked up by someone else (or a spring falling of Rubichello's car) must have hit that spot on Buemi's car.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Reminds me of the A-Team show from the 70s. There is a single spot on the front of a car that if you shoot it, the hood flies open and all the wheels come off.

The car then flips and when it lands you hear one guy say "Are you ok" and the other says "Yea I'm alright" in a totally non-chalant tone of voice.

A-Team was an 80s show btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back