Type F transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the shift characteristics and differences, but now to a practical question.
85 Jaguar Borg-Warner trans: Check Chart says Type F. There is no place in the country who has Type F.

Anyone have suggestions?

No, don't use what is available. Type F is very unique and specific fluid. You're probably going to have to bite the bullet and have it shipped from out-of-country.

Type F is un friction modified ATF.
It does not slip as much, and this affects clutch operation and possibly life.
You are not performing tranny fluid changes every day, so why not simply have it shipped to you?

If you are not driving the antique very much, normal Dexron type fluid will be OK.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
No, don't use what is available. Type F is very unique and specific fluid. You're probably going to have to bite the bullet and have it shipped from out-of-country.

That is sort of what I figured. Not my car... a friend's. Has been parked about 15 years.

WOW! that Redline.....while expensive ......should be the Bee's Knees for a Type F application.
I did not know that you could get a Type F in a synthetic.....which is a big improvement, while staying with OEM specification.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
IIRC, on the Redline site it says that fluid (Racing ATF) is "like" or "similar to" a type F. Take from that what you will.

It means it has no friction modifiers.

The two types of ATF in the "old days" were A and F.

A was used in Hydramatics and other non-Ford automatics and included a friction modifier for smooth shifts.

F was used in the first Ford automatics and was basically a 20 weight motor oil base stock with a red dye and specific additive package.

"F" type is still used in many racing automatics.

Both my Fords call for it in the PS units, 1988 and 1993, still on the shelves in most stores around here.

Type F is available but being stocked less often since no new products are using this fluid. These are sometimes also labelled as 'racing' ATFs, and are available in mineral or full synthetic.

And, some hydraulic and tractor type fluids meet the same 'type-f' specs so read the labels.

One of the problems importers face here is a $200 per product per year registration fee with the gov't. Slow movers end up too expensive.

First, sort out the many problems that occurred from sitting 15 years.
Valve and seats, rings and bores, brakes, etc..
Using a non type F fluid in the tranny is not a bi concern.

Originally Posted By: widman
I know the shift characteristics and differences, but now to a practical question.
85 Jaguar Borg-Warner trans: Check Chart says Type F. There is no place in the country who has Type F.

Anyone have suggestions?

If you can find some Dextron II it will work. With an old jag I don't expect you will be beating on it. Those old B/W trannys were good reliable boxes... Good luck.

I'm currently running Redline's Type F in the TL right now and love it. The GN has always had straight type F or a mixture to get the desired shift quality.

In a trans not designed for type F, you're usually safe going with whatever the the worst thing that's going to happen from running type F in one is harsh shifts.

In a trans designed for type F, not using it can shorten the life.

I have two quarts of Kendall Type F in my shop that I've hung on to for about 20 years for no good reason as I never have, nor is it likely ever will own a Ford product. If anybody wants it, your're more than welcome to drive over and get it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back