BG transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 05 grand caravan and am going to have the tranny flushed and new filter put in. The guy says I can have it with or without BG fluid. I understand that BG products are very good, but I'm kind of leary since it is a mopar tranny. I also didn't ask whether it was just the additive or their universal syn fluid. Any opinions?

They probably are talking about the chemical cleaning process. I personally do not recommend it. Just do the flush with tranny fluid only.

I think its more important to just change the fluids and make sure they adjust the bands. On alot of the transmissions they had band adjustments that no one ever did. I think a 2005 would have a electronic transmission though. Id just go with the fluid alone. If its not broken dont fix it. I never used any additives and my Dodge transmissions since 1994 have always been good to me, changed fluid/filter and adjusted the bands ever 25,000 miles. Never had one go out.

BG has a universal transfluid. it is very good!!

I would ask what the other option is though. I agree no flush chemicals just a fluid exchange is best.

We used BG products exclusively when we first opened and I was extremely happy with them. Still buy alot of fuel additives and use the 6.0 induction service system daily. I have moved over to Motorcraft transfluid in fords and still use the BG in the dodges.

Last edited:
Accept nothing but ATF+4.
No chemical experiments either.
The friction properties and shear stability of the +4 fluid
is absolutely necesary for these trannys!

I had the tranny fluid in my '07 Mazda6 (Asin/Warner 6 spd. ATX) exchanged on 3/8/10 at 29,056 mi. It calls for the Toyota Type T-V fluid. The garage uses all the BG fluids, and they did use the BG cleaning agent as well. Before taking it in the fluid looked nice and red, smelled fine too. After they ran the cleaner through it I was suprised to see how much gunk was actually in there. I may not have really "needed" to have it done. However, I like the peace of mind that preventative maintinance provides. Trans still shifts smoothly 1,000 miles later. So we'll hope all is good!

Well you have a wealth of opinions. So I will only add my 0.02.
I would use Amsoil or a name brand ATF spec'ed for your vehicle. I know BG makes good cleaners but have not heard or read a lot about BG fluids. The garages are sold the BG stuff by the salesman who sold them their transmission flush machine.

Also I found this out, the new fluid container in some flush machines can contain 1-2 QTs of the prior flushes new ATF. I brought in a case of Amsoil to my local shop and asked them to purge the machine before the flush and they did and pumped out almost 2 QTs of new ATF. I assume they just toss that.

Some places will tell you that the cleaner will eliminate the need for a filter change. Well the cleaner might dissolve some sludge on the filter but it certainly cannot do anything with particles of aluminum or steel caught in the filter.

This is a mopar, with the 41TE aka 604 ultradrive tranny in it?
IF SO....
Use only approved ATF+4
-no universal approved for everything fluid.
-No chemicals or snakeoils.
This is because the computer controls the shift when it happens and HOW it shifts by cycling solenoids during the shift. Anything that doesent slip like mopar has specified will make the computer to adjust the shift like a maniac...
Effectivly making the tranny to shift to death!
The original fill from mopar is one of the highest quality tranny oils on the market, dont mess with that.
As a side note, most trannys are happy with the mopar fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back