What oil for Kohler command v twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to see what everyone is running in their command v twins. I have a 22 horse. I often get loud, annoying lifter rattle, hot, cold, doesn't matter. Engine runs good otherwise. I believe I have Rotella 15w40 in their now. Thinking about HDEO 10w30 as Kohler recommends 10w30. Any favorite's for this engine?? Tom

Im running Quaker State Torque Power (it was on sale a while back) synthetic 10w30 in all my lawn equipment right now.

I am still breaking in my Toro with its B&S engine that I bought in June of last year. Every couple months I change out the oil while it is still hot and I am still seeing some metallic looking stuff in the used oil.

Rotella T6 5w40 is what I eventually want to change everything out to. I will probably leave the current fill in there for the majority of the season and change it to the T6 for the next change.

I have a command single cylinder that only likes rotella 10w-30
or castrol 10w-30 HM. Anything else I have tried including
synthetic just disappears? Dipstick level never moves with
either of those and no lifter noise.

This topic comes up a lot about these engines. In the end, most recommend to run the kohler 10w30 as it has a different kind of anti foam agent, or more of it, or something. I personally am using castrol Tection 15w40 because for some reason i am against buying OEM branded oils of most any type and i got it on sale for about 5 dollars a gallon a while back. I posted about the anti foam properties of HD or VII free oils a week or so ago and it didnt get much attention. Most guys that i have talked to on here about this say that most all modern oils have anti foam additives, but many have said that the Kohler branded oil did help there valve noise. Kohler oil is not very expensive, maybe try it and see if it helps. I have a command 20hp Vtwin and it has run on Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 up until last summer when i started using the tection. I honestly thought the 15w40 ran a little quieter last summer but as i just cut grass yesterday, i think it is about the same. I has some valve noise but nothing terrible and it may be normal. Im probably gonna try some M1 5w40 as i have about 6 qts in my stock pile of cheap oil that needs used up. I was going to use my castrol Edge 10w30 but it is on the thin side and these engines are on the hot side so it just dont feel right to me. I think the rotella 10w30 would probably do as good as anything in there but just for fun maybe try the kohler oil. Good luck, let us know what you do and how it works out.

I would try Rotella or Pennzoil's HD30. For your climate (your tag says Nova, I am thinking Nova Scotia). Kohler's Command series are tough engines and will probably run on any HDMO. From what I have read on this board, HDMO's work really good on air cooled OPE.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in northern Virginia (NOVA). I can't seem to find Rotella, Delo, or Delvac in a 10w30 around here. I checked Walmart, Autozone, and Pep Boys.

Kohler has there own oil if you want to try that. Im not sure who makes it for them but it is made to kohler specs for the command series engine.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Kohler has there own oil if you want to try that. Im not sure who makes it for them but it is made to kohler specs for the command series engine.

The only problem with Kohler's brand oil, is it is probably Pennzoil HD or some other brand oil, but at 2X the cost, like Briggs oil. A good passenger car oil will work okay, but try to find a good HD oil made for air cooled engines. They tend to be harder on oil, due to the uneven cooling.

My cheapo Intek (Briggs&Stratton) specs 30wt or 5w-30 synthetic, but runs fine on Delvac 1300 15W-40. It really does not care what oil is in it. See here for my Intek with 1200 hours. Mostly saw cheapo oil, whatever grade I had. Now is running HDMO delvac 1300 15w-40.

Dave

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
The Kohler 10W30 oil is a diesel rated HDEO. For years Kohler has only recommended HDEO 10w30 in the Command series due to the fact they have hydraulic lifters.

A few guys at the professional lawn care forum lawnsite.com claim that these engines run noticeably better on the Kohler brand 10W30. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=150850

Just recently Kohler o.k.ed the use of straight 30 wt. for these engines at ambient temps above 50F as discussed in this forum:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74814

Do some googling to find more info.

Im sorry, but i dont understand RED-85s post where he talks about somebody putting sae 30 weight in and it collapsed the lifters. Is he saying it was too thick or too thin? Just wondering becuase mine has 15w40 in it and has all winter and i probably did about 20 runs this winter plowing snow and riding kids around. I dont run it wide open when im doing that so maybe thats why i never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The Kohler 10W30 oil is a diesel rated HDEO. For years Kohler has only recommended HDEO 10w30 in the Command series due to the fact they have hydraulic lifters.

A few guys at the professional lawn care forum lawnsite.com claim that these engines run noticeably better on the Kohler brand 10W30. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=150850

Just recently Kohler o.k.ed the use of straight 30 wt. for these engines at ambient temps above 50F as discussed in this forum:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74814

Do some googling to find more info.

Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for...lots of good reading!! Tom

Guys, maybe we could specify which engine type, CH or CV because i think the problem is mainly with the CV style engines with the vertical cam.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Guys, maybe we could specify which engine type, CH or CV because i think the problem is mainly with the CV style engines with the vertical cam.

js, the only differences that I am aware of with the Command series vertical vs. horizontal is the oil pump pickup and some external casting bosses and plastic shrouding. Other than that, the internal mechanicals & hard parts are the same. Verticals are more sensitive to oil level given the cyl to sump orientation. FWIW, my Kohler Command 20 CH has always been tappy at idle. Smooth as butter at max governed speed.

Joel

Last edited:
Okay, thanks very much. Thats kinda how mine is, when it is running , it is very smooth and sounds good. But after running hard for an hour or something and then brought down to an idle or even a little more than idle, i get some valve noise and im trying to figure out if this is an issue or just the nature of the engine. Sounds like it just might be normal. Also, do you feel like with these engines that running them half speed a lot would hurt them. I run my pretty slow alot when im doing yard work(not mowing) or putting around with kids. I have been thinking about moving away from the 15w40 and using some of my M1 stash or PP, or Castrol Edge (the thinnest of the bunch) but i may settle on my M1 5w40 and use it for a few years until my stash of it is gone.

i had ticking lifters in my 22 hp kohler as well. tried mobil 1 10-30-got worse! tried kolher 10-30-noise went away ! i am a believer and now only use kolher oil in it

Kohler recommends the engine be run at full throttle when under load doing any cutting . I guess partial throttle and idling any amount is not good for them , heat/carbon...etc .
This is what my John Deere manual says .

Guys, just wanted to report that i have changed the oil to the M1 5w40 and really like it so far. I dont get any valve noise after a hard mowing. In fact all the valve noise that i did have is gone. I will be sticking with this oil from now on, or at least for the next 3 years until my stash runs out, then i may switch to Rotella T6. If the M1 keeps performing like this even thru the winter, i will definitely stay with the 5w40. I may experiment with the diff fluid a little bit. Two years ago i used napa 10w40 in the hydro and it worked much better than the stock cub fluid. Granted i did change the filter out and there was a lot of metal in the oil. The beginning of last year i changed it out to the 15w40 castrol and when it is cold, it is not as smooth as the 10w40 napa. I may put the 5w40 in there as well. It may be 5w40 all around for my 2544. I actually thought about going with a 10w30 or 5w30 because i rarely get my rear diff hot. Any thoughts on the hydro fluid to a xw30

Originally Posted By: jstutz
...Any thoughts on the hydro fluid to a xw30

I doubt you'd have any issues going that route with a Cub 2K series GT. I haven't seen any info other than 40 or 50wts in them, but given they hold ~6qts and rarely get hot as you say, it should be fine. The main thing with them is keeping the oil changed if you use it in the cold and/or rain to keep the condensation build-up out of there.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back