Reasons why brake fluid would go dark fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a front brake job on my Honda a few months ago and now the brake fluid looks sort of dark in the reserve. I had the brake fluid changed a little bit more than a year a go and then when I did the brakes I used a bottle of honda brake fluid and bled the brakes till the bottle ran out. I dont know if this color change is normal or if the honda brake fluid is reacting with the other brake fluid in there? Both are dot3 but the previous fluid was whatever the tire shop had in bulk. Its not black but darker than the old fluid was after a year.

There might be an air leak letting moisture in. It's also possible that the Honda brake fluid is more hygroscopic than the old fluid. Whatever it is, it's probably not catastrophic.

Any issues with brake performance or pedal feel?

Last edited:
I did notice when I looked the other day that the cap was on backwards. It has an arrow that says front and it was faceing the wrong way so I changed it around. Would that cause an air leak?

It might.
wink.gif

If your brakes feel fine, you probably caught it LONG before it became an issue. I would put the cap on the right way, and change the fluid whenever you get a chance.

I know that GM issued a Technical Bulletin that the dark color of the clutch fluid (which is Brake fluid) does not mean you have to change it, apparently it leeches out the color from the rubber!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I know that GM issued a Technical Bulletin that the dark color of the clutch fluid (which is Brake fluid) does not mean you have to change it, apparently it leeches out the color from the rubber!

Yeah, it does that.

Your brakes are getting older, not newer.
Particulate matter from any rubber seals wearing is part of the problem. A lot of heat can cause the fluid to get darker, also.
The cap on backwards? maybe.

GM power steering fluid does that as well. It seems to leach color from the rubber hoses. When I replaced it with the old Valvoline SemiSyn, it stayed clear for over two years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back