Suggested Oil for 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Just did a search and found nothing on my car. I drive a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo with 88k Miles on it. City/Highway driving most likely 50/50. I live in Illinois so we see a hot summer and a cold winter. I currently use Mobil 1 but am wondering what the gurus here suggest.

Thanks so much!

Originally Posted By: jollygoodgold
Hello!

Just did a search and found nothing on my car. I drive a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo with 88k Miles on it. City/Highway driving most likely 50/50. I live in Illinois so we see a hot summer and a cold winter. I currently use Mobil 1 but am wondering what the gurus here suggest.

Thanks so much!

Which Mobil 1 product are you using? I would think the Mobil 1 0W-40 would be an excellent fit for your Volvo.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

JGG, I used the cheapest on-sale 5w30 synthetic I could find in my 1995 NA Volvo 850. With the addition of the turbo I would look into oils with a higher HTHS rating - Mobil 1 0w40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w40 both seem like excellent choices to me.

it is an engine from 1996, what oil have you used which worked for you in the past?

I am not too sure if you need an oil which is A3 rated such as Castrol 0W-30 or Mobil 0W-40, when you can get away with Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Castrol Syntec/Edge and Mobil 1/M1 EP 5W-30...and some money on gas

Some people run them on dino 10w-30 and have no problems. I would use synth 10w-30 and see if consumption is fine. If not, try 5w-40 HD.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I would use synth 10w-30 and see if consumption is fine.
I used many OCIs of Meijer synthetic 10w30 during summer months with zero consumption between changes; 5w30 Meijer synthetic during winter.

If I still had the car, I'd use whatever synthetic was on sale that day.

I would never run anything less than full synthetic.

Every time I would do an oil change to a Volvo turbo, I would see heavy varnish under the oil cap, even if the owner changed oil every 3,000 miles.

In fact, I would never run anything less than full synthetic in any turbocharged gasoline engine.

My buddy has a 95. He uses Castrol GTX 10w30, it has fairly close to 200k miles, maybe 175-200, I haven't been in it for a while. But it ran great last time I was. It was also an 850 Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back