Who trailers their bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, who has a trailer queen? It's alright to admit if you tow your bike on a trailer to a ride. I've done it a couple of times because I didn't want to ride all day in the rain or cold. Not recently though......

My Beemer took a trailer ride a few weeks ago. Granted, she was broke down, but it was sooo weird to see her just kicked back on the trailer. If it looks like bad weather, I just don't ride. There are times in Eastern N.C. where a sudden rain storm hits and drenches everything for about 5 mins, then it's sunny again. Can't help but get wet then.

Never trailered a bike in 25 years. I have shipped a bike from NYC to the west coast for tours, then rode back, but that was mainly due to time considerations. Also lets me spend more time on fun roads than riding across the praries both ways.

Riding in the rain while on tour is fun, aslong as it's not a week straight. Just crank up the heated gear a bit, and it becomes a Zen-like experiance.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

Riding in the rain while on tour is fun, aslong as it's not a week straight. Just crank up the heated gear a bit, and it becomes a Zen-like experiance.

I've ridden more miles in rain than I can count, because when you are on a ride and it rains, you deal with it. But as I get older, I "enjoy" riding in the rain and bad weather less and less. I probably will never get to the point that I trailer always, but I may do it a little more often than in the past.

I used to be the first one to criticize the "trailer queens" but after doing it a couple of times, maybe I was a little rash?

I agree that you would miss a lot of experiences trailering, and that is the rub...

Remember, In N. TX it is 6 hrs of hot/cold, straight-flat-roads to anywhere that's worth riding.

Last edited:
I've never trailered a bike.

I don't like riding in the rain primarily for safety reasons. Traction is compromised considerably on wet pavement. Visibility is compromised by rain and in particular heavy rain. So, if you don't have the visibility to see a problem developing on the road while driving in the rain, a sudden stop may be required. Panic stops on dry pavement are bad enough. Doing the same on wet pavement may very well have serious consequences.

I ride for enjoyment. Getting drenched and cold combined with the stress of poor visibility and limited stopping ability is anything but enjoyable. Call me a fair weather biker. I'm OK with that.

Trailered the R6 when I first bought it to bring it home. And then once more when a nail punctured the rear tire on the Cherohala Skyway.

Other than getting filthy dirty I don't mind riding in the rain unless it's less than 40 out, then it may turn white soon which is no good. The only time I trailered was a 1500 mile round trip. I bought a trailer with 13 or 14" wheels, can't remember but I didn't trust little 8" or 9" wheels spinning at 4000rpm, so I lube the bearings real nice even though the trailer was pretty new and hardly used. Well, we made it to 150 miles from home where one wheel came off from bearing failure. A friend and I load one of the motorcycles into my truck, 550lbs with no ramp, then I attempt to ride the remainder of the trip in sub 30 degree temps at 2AM on I70 in Colorado. I made it 90 miles and was near frozen, as I hadn't brought warm gear. Jump in the truck and ride back up tomorrow to get the bike, sell the carcass of a trailer for $20. Never again, I'd rather ride. On top of that driving plain sucks. I can't stand sitting in a stupid car, can tolerate a 1 ton truck, but barely.

Originally Posted By: Robb235
Trailered the R6 when I first bought it to bring it home. And then once more when a nail punctured the rear tire on the Cherohala Skyway.

The words trailer and Cherohala Skyway in the same sentence, that has to be an oxymoron.....

So far, the Connie hasn't been in a trailer.

Last edited:
I've never trailered, but if I ever decide to ride home to Florida I'd be tempted to trailer across the west Texas desert. I can only imagine how boring that ride is. The stretch of I-8 from Gila Bend to Ocotillo, CA is horrid. The small stretch from Laughlin to Vegas is bad, too. I hate riding in flat, boring, windy parts of desert.

Originally Posted By: FLHRGator
I've never trailered, but if I ever decide to ride home to Florida I'd be tempted to trailer across the west Texas desert. I can only imagine how boring that ride is. The stretch of I-8 from Gila Bend to Ocotillo, CA is horrid. The small stretch from Laughlin to Vegas is bad, too. I hate riding in flat, boring, windy parts of desert.

That's all true, but to me "boring" is driving a car. I don't mind hot dusty desert flat roads, just another road to me as long as it's on a motorcycle. I really enjoy riding out around Las Vegas in 110 degree weather. I guess I just enjoy riding period. If it's 40 and rain or 110 and hot I still ride if at all possible and enjoy every mile. Some guys on the GL1800 group are going to trailer Goldwings all the way from Florida to Colorado next summer to avoid that boring ride across the country. What a waste and talk about boring. My gosh.

Originally Posted By: FLHRGator

Done both several times. Try riding from TX to CO to CA and back on a Suzuki SV650. 4000 miles across several deserts on a naked 650. Not fun..... Just going across Nevada on Hwy 50 was tough. Going into Vegas at 5 in the afternoon, wind 40 mph, and 108 degrees just sucked....

I trailer my bike almost every weekend. I live in IL during the week because that's where I work, then on the weekends I travel to either MI or OH. My wife and kids live in OH, and I have a sister and Aunt who live in MI. I chose the trailer route for several reasons. This way I can take everything I need to take with me without having to ugly up the bike with things like saddle bags and fairings and such. It's also nice to be inside the car if I happen to run into rain. Don't like riding in the rain much.

never been on a trailer,i have hauled the bike in the bed of my truck when i bought it and when i moved.

Last year (for the first time ever) we trailered a bike thru freezing rain and snow to.... Florida, and then rode around a few days.

This year we drove to Mobile, Alabama and rented a bike... and rode it around for a couple days of 30 degree morning and 50 degree afternoon temps. Hey, it was better than ZERO degrees at my house.

We have managed 30k+ miles annually for the past ten years or so on our bikes. The Missus only rides as a passenger. Before that (wife didn't ride at all) I averaged somewhere around 15K.

We seem to ride a lot in the rain - but a bad storm can be dangerous. When on a limited timetable - and having to go thru hundreds miles of storms.... the thought of trailering has definitely entered my mind. In fact - we may try a little bit of that this year and see how it works out.

I have trailered my dirt bikes to trail,trial or dirt track,but the only times my road bikes have been on a trailer is when they have broken down....or when I buy them,as I often buy a non runner.Riding in the rain is a part of life in New Zealand,that's why our grass is so green.I prefer to be prepared if I go out in the rain,but getting caught out is very common too....in that case I like to be going home or somewhere else I can get dry.Going some where wet,where you will be wet all day is not much fun....say going to work in the rain with no wet weather gear.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I've never trailered a bike.

I don't like riding in the rain primarily for safety reasons. Traction is compromised considerably on wet pavement. Visibility is compromised by rain and in particular heavy rain. So, if you don't have the visibility to see a problem developing on the road while driving in the rain, a sudden stop may be required. Panic stops on dry pavement are bad enough. Doing the same on wet pavement may very well have serious consequences.

I ride for enjoyment. Getting drenched and cold combined with the stress of poor visibility and limited stopping ability is anything but enjoyable. Call me a fair weather biker. I'm OK with that.

I'm the same way as far as riding in the rain and bad weather. I avoid it at all costs. Lord knows I rode enough in the rain back in the 70s and now pushing age 58, I sure don't want to be caught out in the rain.

Now I have trailered my bike in the past, from my place to a dealer and back for work, and from my house some 85 miles to my daughter's house to ride with my older kids and friends. Good thing too because it poured down on me on the way home that evening.

Poor bike looked sad getting drenched in that rain!

So like you, I am a fair weather rider and not ashamed to admit it!

Originally Posted By: Silk
I have trailered my dirt bikes to trail,trial or dirt track,but the only times my road bikes have been on a trailer is when they have broken down....or when I buy them,as I often buy a non runner.Riding in the rain is a part of life in New Zealand,that's why our grass is so green.I prefer to be prepared if I go out in the rain,but getting caught out is very common too....in that case I like to be going home or somewhere else I can get dry.Going some where wet,where you will be wet all day is not much fun....say going to work in the rain with no wet weather gear.

That's commendable, but NZ isn't exactly a large island. I have to drive 6 hrs in any direction just to reach some twisty roads.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Originally Posted By: Silk

That's commendable, but NZ isn't exactly a large island. I have to drive 6 hrs in any direction just to reach some twisty roads.

NZ isn't really a tiny island. It's around 835 miles tip to tip. Not sure if there's a road that runs the entire length but as big as it is, there's plenty of time to get drenched!

Too bad about your riding opportunities being so far away.

Around here, there's plenty of twisty, hilly secondary roads to ride with very little traffic. If I'm riding solo, I take the KLR. I try to find roads I haven't ridden. They are usually gravel. Problem with that is there is nothing and/or no one out there. Accordingly, it's necessary to have a big fuel tank make sure it's full. The KLR is good for 300 to 325 miles if ridden at reasonable speeds. I've had a couple rides that had me wondering about fuel. These bush roads go for hundreds of miles. Some terminate a large lakes that are used to make ice roads in the winter to get into the remote reserves and villages way up north. Some are so long and desolate that if you were to ride the KLR and fueled up a the last opportunity, you'd get to the end but wouldn't have fuel to get back. You'd need to have someone in a pick up or something to make a fuel cache for the trip home. A GPS is pretty much a necessity. It's not wise to attempt rides like that alone and one should have a satellite phone in case of an emergency. Otherwise, you'll be spending the night with caribou, wolves, bears and moose, not to mention the mosquitoes and black flies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus

NZ isn't really a tiny island. It's around 835 miles tip to tip. Not sure if there's a road that runs the entire length but as big as it is, there's plenty of time to get drenched!

Well, Australia is an island and so big it is also a continent. That was my basis for comparison and Texas is so big that it is farther from Houston to El Paso than it is from El Paso to Los Angleles. The width of NZ couldn't be more than 100 miles so I wouldn't consider it a big island. But in any case, you can probably get to great roads in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back