Finally graduated to a FS. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've finally gotten my skill level to a point that I don't think a FS would be a total waste of money and I really enjoy DH.

I've literally upgraded EVERYTHING on my Hardrock.....really. I'm not sure if I would put it back to stock and transfer all of the good stuff over to a new FS frame or just buy a new bike outright. I for sure want to keep my hardtail as as a backup/commuter.

First on my list is some of the Giant frames. Supposedly the best suspension geometry out there. I would like to keep the bare frame (including rear shock) price to $1,500 or below if possible. I don't even want to think what it would cost for a complete bike in the range I want so I'm definately leaning toward transferring my components over.

I do a little of everyhing from riding the paved bike trail with the GF to cross country, to 45+mph DH fire roads. Getting ready to take it to the ski slopes for the first time once they close them to skiiers for the year.

Anyone know of anything in this price range better than Giant?

I have a hardtail that is totally built and I love it. For the type of riding I mostly do it works great, but I have been thinking about a FS bike for quite a while. A friend of mine has a FS 29er and that has an awesome ride. For a DH bike I don't think I could buy anything, but a 29er after riding one. So, based on my experience and your price range I would check out the Salsa Big Mama.

FS are pretty fun man, but I really do suggest getting a new bike. Frames alone cost sometimes upto 75% of what an entire bike would end up costing, and then you don't have a backup/different riding style bike.

Good call on checking out the Giants. IMO one of the best FS bikes around. I almost bought a Trance X2 (2009) but ended up with a Cannondale Rize instead (just based on shop loyalty) but in your price range, a Trance X3 should be somewhere around your budget, and a plenty kick-[censored] bike. Also, the way they are setup nowadays, you really don't lose out on wasting pedaling energy and so on, its only gains my friend :D

I love my 5" trail bike, it can hit just about anything.

Keep the Spec for tame XC trails and ride the FS for everything else. You will love it!

My rize, for your viewing pleasure:

dscn1265f.jpg

Last edited:
I like my Santa Cruz Superlight. They are around $1700 at Colorado Cyclist, but no taxes.

Which fork do you have right now? I think that will decide if buying a complete FS bike makes sense or not.
I still like the dual crown forks for stiffness over a single crown, maybe the bolt on axle single crown forks get close to dual crown strength but as the travel gets longer geometry works against them.
Plus a shorter DH stem is nice and some burly bars, breaking stems or bars is no fun... Then cranks, good flat pedals, and then stronger wheels, and bigger tires...
There is a reason people own several bikes, and I don't think many people regret buying a bike other than ultralight XC and road bikes.
Maybe rent a full on DH bike and see if you like that type of bike and riding.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Which fork do you have right now? I think that will decide if buying a complete FS bike makes sense or not.
I still like the dual crown forks for stiffness over a single crown, maybe the bolt on axle single crown forks get close to dual crown strength but as the travel gets longer geometry works against them.
Plus a shorter DH stem is nice and some burly bars, breaking stems or bars is no fun... Then cranks, good flat pedals, and then stronger wheels, and bigger tires...
There is a reason people own several bikes, and I don't think many people regret buying a bike other than ultralight XC and road bikes.

I have an '08 Revelation dual air right now. Got a better Truativ crank, Shimano clipless but with the cage pedals, Mavic wheels, WTB Mutano 2.4 tires, 203mm BB7s, carbon bar, titanium seapost, WTB Laser staddle, went from a 7speed grip shift to a 9 speed Shimano deraileurs, cassette, and shifters; some 400 lumen dual niterider lights, etc. Literally everything but the frame. Many people look down on me for going this route but it's been a blast. With several components I tried different brands until I found something I liked. Now I have a good idea what to look for and what to stay away from component wise when shopping for a new bike.

You're right though, I wouldn't mind trying a dedicated DH bike for fun. However, I ride everything right now and I'll never be a hardcore DH rider, I just don't have the guts to push it like most people do. I guess I'm looking for something like an all mountain bike, something that will do everything ok but maybe not the best at any one thing. I don't have the money to spend $2,000 on a road bike, $2,000 on a cross country bike, $4,000 on a DH bike, etc.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I guess I'm looking for something like an all mountain bike, something that will do everything ok but maybe not the best at any one thing. I don't have the money to spend $2,000 on a road bike, $2,000 on a cross country bike, $4,000 on a DH bike, etc.

Yes, you definitely want an All mountain style bike. I've had a couple, they are a blast. You can hit most things without worry, and you can still hang with XC riders if its light enough. I have a friend with 24lb Rize carbon 1, he is very fast on that thing, and also confident due to the geometry and 5" travel.

BuickGN, I have a FS 29er and LOVE it. When my bike was new 2 years ago, it was 3500 bucks. I've seen the same bike on ebay, still brand new, but a leftover for 1900 dollars. Might be worth looking into.

Originally Posted by BuickGN
Originally Posted by IndyIan

I have an '08 Revelation dual air right now. Got a better Truativ crank, Shimano clipless but with the cage pedals, Mavic wheels, WTB Mutano 2.4 tires, 203mm BB7s, carbon bar, titanium seapost, WTB Laser staddle, went from a 7speed grip shift to a 9 speed Shimano deraileurs, cassette, and shifters; some 400 lumen dual niterider lights, etc. Literally everything but the frame. Many people look down on me for going this route but it's been a blast. With several components I tried different brands until I found something I liked. Now I have a good idea what to look for and what to stay away from component wise when shopping for a new bike.

You're right though, I wouldn't mind trying a dedicated DH bike for fun. However, I ride everything right now and I'll never be a hardcore DH rider, I just don't have the guts to push it like most people do. I guess I'm looking for something like an all mountain bike, something that will do everything OK but maybe not the best at any one thing. I don't have the money to spend $2,000 on a road bike, $2,000 on a cross country bike, $4,000 on a DH bike, etc.

Given all you just said, I'd be all over CL looking for the right frame. You like to tinker - cool. You like your set-up - also cool. I bought a 1999 K2 4000 with replacement Marzocchi dual air front and Fox rear, RaceFace gear sets, etc, for $100 on CL. Yeah, I had to do a bunch of tweaking and fixing as the PO had installed the swing arm shock mount backwards so the shock would clear, which really messed up the geometry ... But that was easily resolved with a different used Fox shock, JB weld, and new SS screws (carbon swing arm). It's a featherweight and has plenty suspension for me.

There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Tweaking and tuning, swapping. You know what you are doing by now. No build novice here. Just find the right frame. I'm prolly all in at $500 now and I haven't even sold off the left overs yet ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BrocLuno

Given all you just said, I'd be all over CL looking for the right frame. You like to tinker - cool. You like your set-up - also cool. I bought a 1999 K2 4000 with replacement Marzocchi dual air front and Fox rear, RaceFace gear sets, etc, for $100 on CL. Yeah, I had to do a bunch of tweaking and fixing as the PO had installed the swing arm shock mount backwards so the shock would clear, which really messed up the geometry ... But that was easily resolved with a different used Fox shock, JB weld, and new SS screws (carbon swing arm). It's a featherweight and has plenty suspension for me.

There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Tweaking and tuning, swapping. You know what you are doing by now. No build novice here. Just find the right frame. I'm prolly all in at $500 now and I haven't even sold off the left overs yet ...
laugh.gif

There's a huge difference in the performance of a '99 full suspension mountain bike and a modern one, especially in climbing performance but weight and suspension technology have gone forward leaps and bounds as well (not to mention brakes, gears, wheel size, and geometry). For all around riding one of the modern 130-150 mm travel 29er trail bikes is going to be unbeatable compared to anything from the past and a lower-end (think SRAM Eagle GX or NX) drivetrain will win every day as well.

A modern trail bike would be a revelation to a mountain biker from 1999. I'd even wager a DH rider from 1999 would be pretty happy to get their hands on a modern enduro bike.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
He does not have the money to get to that level with any quality and air on both ends ...

$1500 will get you a modern bike (albeit with lower end components). Especially if he's just buying frame & shock.

Spending the money on an old bike is false economy, he'd be wasting his money, better to save for longer if that's what it takes.

Last edited:
OK, we'll agree to disagree. If he drops $1,500 on new bike it's worth $500 the second run down the hill. That seems false economy to me.

Notice I said the right frame. I know his Hardrock well I have one. Mine is getting a new (used, but very nice) dual air Manitou fork right now, in place of the OEM junk.

Yeah, if he wants a good 29'er, he'll pay some for a decent used frame, but the build may be had for the stated budget at a lot higher caliber than that money will buy new straight up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back