Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run the search functions and the UOA's for valvoline are not for the premium blue. No shortage of the PCMO 10-30, but the HDEO seems to be scarce.

Once I get my truck broken in and switched to VPB, I'll post some of my results.

I think I'll do a VOA just for peace of mind - if the moly numbers really are that high, and can sustain through 10k miles, I'm sold.

I picked up a gallon on sale for 9.00. I'll be using it in my boat - 350mag mercury.

Going to mix in one qt of vtwin 50w oil for the addtives package.

Here is my reports using VPB 15/40W, I think it held up pretty good for a long drain interval with bypass.

2007 Dodge Ram 5.9
Miles on truck.........73,328
Miles on oil............14,433
Oil......................Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40

Parameter.......14,433miles.... UOA Results
Aluminum.............................5
Chromium.............................2
Iron.................................39
Copper...............................7
Lead.................................1
Tin..................................0
Molybdenum..........................40
Nickel...............................1
Manganese............................1
Silver...............................1
Titanium.............................0
Potassium............................7
Boron................................7
Silicon..............................5
Sodium...............................7
Calcuim..............................1237
Magnesium............................960
Phosphorous.........................1115
Zinc................................1319
Barium................................0

SUS vis at 210 F....................76.9
cSt at 100 C........................14.73
Flashpoint..........................430
Fuel............................... Antifreeze..........................0
Water...............................0
Insolubles..........................0.3
TBN.................................6.2

Nice report, especially for almost 15k miles.
What brand of bypass?

If you would please, UOA posts should go in the UOA section; it makes for ease of searches at a later date.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
You can sure tell the difference from the Cummins in the Dodge to the Cummins ISX in my semi. My 2006 ISX has 542,000 miles and gets 20,000 mile OCI's. My last UOA showed iron was at 11, Aluminum at 2, Chrome at 0, lead at 5, Copper at 2, Tin at 0, Soot at .2. And this was with a local oil company offering (Allied Oil and Supply) that is blended as a 40% synthetic blend by Warren out of Council Bluffs, IA. $9 a gallon with a drum delivered to the house for $5. Guess the name on a bottle really doesn't mean as much as the ads claim, even though all of the shelf oils are not bad.

But then again, it could be that I disabled the EGR emissions junk on the engine 140,000 miles ago and that could be the reason wear numbers and soot is low.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
You can sure tell the difference from the Cummins in the Dodge to the Cummins ISX in my semi. My 2006 ISX has 542,000 miles and gets 20,000 mile OCI's. My last UOA showed iron was at 11, Aluminum at 2, Chrome at 0, lead at 5, Copper at 2, Tin at 0, Soot at .2. And this was with a local oil company offering (Allied Oil and Supply) that is blended as a 40% synthetic blend by Warren out of Council Bluffs, IA. $9 a gallon with a drum delivered to the house for $5. Guess the name on a bottle really doesn't mean as much as the ads claim, even though all of the shelf oils are not bad.

But then again, it could be that I disabled the EGR emissions junk on the engine 140,000 miles ago and that could be the reason wear numbers and soot is low.

So, are you saying that a mom and pop oil company can blend some oil and we can achieve the same or better results in our vehicles engines as if we had used a shelf brand?
As regards removal of the emission stuff, sooner or later vehicle inspections will catch up to that.

Old article. It's been discussed before. Clearly he puts more faith in the inputs rather than outputs.

What would you rather know: the starting team rosters of the big ball game, or the final score???? VOAs are predictors; UOAs are undeniable results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billmac
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

So, are you saying that a mom and pop oil company can blend some oil and we can achieve the same or better results in our vehicles engines as if we had used a shelf brand?
As regards removal of the emission stuff, sooner or later vehicle inspections will catch up to that.

Not exactly a mom and pop company, and I am getting as good or better results than I ever did with a name brand oil, and for way less cost. Allied Oil and Supply. They cover a 4 state area and supply one heck of a lot of bulk oil to fleets in that area. They have the oil blended to their requirements by Warren, which blends a lot of oils for various labels. Also, they are not spending millions of dollars for ads on TV and sponsoring race cars, so they can at least provide a better priced product. They don't need to since they are selling primarily to the commercial market. And since the majority of those commercial fleets expect 1 million or more miles from a diesel engine before an overhaul, the oil better be half way decent.

Sure, emissions police may catch up sooner or later, but I suppose with this setup it will be later. Iowa doesn't even emissions test personal autos, so getting to the semi's will take quite a while. Not even worried about the DOT during a commercial truck inspection. They barely know what the S cam is on the brakes, I am confident they wouldn't know what to look for and where my EGR is located on the engine and whether it is operating or not. And, when this engine is shot, I will replace it with a pre emissions rebuilt engine. Not bad, have a 2000 engine in a 2006 truck and be perfectly legal. Or even buy a brand new truck chassis and put the same pre emissions engine in it and be legal! There are a number of companies that are putting together these setups. What a country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back