wix filter or motorcraft for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The oil filter size must not be right for the 51348 as the OE capacity will not fill the car to full when you use a 51348 filter.

54.gif
Whatever you do, Critic, don't buy a Donaldson. Unless there's some inter-dimensional shift in the cosmos, it would be even worse.

Here's what the 51348 xref's to in Donaldson.

P554408
A - OD (Inches): 2.96
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16 UNF-2B
C - Length (Inches): 5.53
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.76
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.39
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 8-11
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Stand Pipe (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: PERKINS 2654408, MF
Product Group: F

Part Number: 51348
UPC Number: 765809513488
Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Jeep (82-10), Various GM, Saturn (85-07), Lexus (90-10), Saab (67-09), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-10), Ford (03-10), Mazda, Mercury (05-10), Yugo (86-89), Various Lawn&Garden, Farm Equip.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/37
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

and what does an air filter have to do with this topic anyway
54.gif

and what does a 3/4-16 thread filter have to do with a modular application?

That all said, I would go with the MC due to price over the spec'd OEM OCI. I would probably choose the WIX if I was going longer.

Thanks, Gary. For a moment, I thought I was lost in the cosmos ... I must admit, I got smacked in the back of the head, because I never saw the air filter converstion coming. I admit that I, along with everyone else, jumped immediately on the oil filter bandwagon, even though the OP never clearly stated which filter he was referring to. Still, common place for this sub-forum is oil fitler converstaions, so we all went with it. I'm OK with that. Probably because the sub-forum is titled "Oil filters".

Regarding oil fitler capacity topic: Isn't that the general purpose of the dipstick?
If one cannot make the adjustments to lubricant level = the change in capacity of differing filters, would that not make one ponder if he/she is perhaps not a good candidate for DIY projects in the garage at all ...

Perhaps I'm off base here, but I thought the topic was about two filters, and the quality/price comparison. I've had good luck with both. Actually, I've never really had a bad oil filter ever. I know they exist statistically, and I've heard about them, but it's never happend to me. Both brands (MC and Wix) are well constructed. Both are cost competitive for the target market. I choose NG because I bulk order from FleetFilter. Some choose not to do so; that's ok.

The decision will be of much greater import to one's mind moreso than it ever will make a difference to the engine!

Last edited:
Quote:
Both brands (MC and Wix) are well constructed. Both are cost competitive for the target market. I choose NG because I bulk order from FleetFilter. Some choose not to do so; that's ok.

That about says it. The head honcho at my local NAPA says that FF is giving them away. While they surely get some rebate(s) based on their sales volume, he can't even buy them at that price due to the way things are set up.

I'd use either or both ..mixed ..matched ..
21.gif

"That about says it. The head honcho at my local NAPA says that FF is giving them away. While they surely get some rebate(s) based on their sales volume, he can't even buy them at that price due to the way things are set up. "

I try to buy locally. Every once in a while, my local Napa will have a sale. And I stock up. But they limit the sale to "normal" (read non-heavy-duty) filters. So, my filters for my Duramax truck are not ever on sale; they are excluded from the promotion. If I have to order some of my filters from FF, I might as well get all my filters from FF.

The savings on some of the stuff is HUGE! For example (and I understand I'm a bit off topic here) the fuel filter for my Dmax is $46 at my local Napa, but only $26 from FF. That is a $20 savings for each one I buy! Same goes for the oil filter (at a lesser price, of course; I save about $6 per filter!). I'm all for supporting the local merchant, but I'd be foolish to not order from FF in this case.

On topic again, I'd use whichever (MC or Wix) that can be easily found for a reasonable price. The engine will never know the difference for the expected OCI duration.

Last edited:
I've got the same engine in my F150 and had the same dilemma. Here's what I've found. 1-The Wix / NAPA Gold weighs about an ounce more. Whether it's a stronger can or more guts I don't know as I haven't dissected them . 2- Both have thread end bypass. 3- Wix has a larger published dirt holding capacity of 13g vs 8g. This will probably never matter with factory OCI. 4- Can't compare efficiency as there isn't enough published data. No one seems to know whether the "80% @ 20 microns" for the MC is the actual efficiency or just the minimum required by Ford. Like dnewton said, your engine will never know the difference. Get the MC at Wally's and pick up some NAPA Golds when they have the 40% off sale. Enjoy them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back