Your M/C OCIs and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run 8,000 OCIs on my ST1100 usually with a 15W40 HDEO. Filters are usually automotive types from Wix or Purolator. Don’t notice any difference in shift quality during the OCI. I have tested the oil with good results and found no additional shearing after the first couple of thousand miles. I have been sticking with 8,000 mile OCIs to compare oils but I may extend out to 10,000 or 12,000 just for fun. Bike now has 138,000 miles on it, uses no oil during the 8,000 mile oci and the compression is still great.
My other bikes get changed annually (HDEOs) because they don’t get ridden as much as the ST.

Rick

Victory manual calls for 2500 mile oil changes. They use 20w40 synthetic blend, any one else use this grade and weight?. The latest Cruiser mag says once a year oil changes using the factory recommended oil grade, which I have used for quite a while on my Honda and it worked fine with K&N oil filters. 40K miles and runs fine. I wonder why the Victory requires low OCI's

2007 FZ6, Asmoil 10w-40 (MCF?) for the season, which is usually 4-7k miles.

1981 Honda C70 Passport, Rotella T 15w-40 change it every 750-1000 miles, or about twice a year. Little OHC 70cc single only holds 20 oz of oil!

About 2500 miles on my Bonneville. I use 15W-40 Rotella and because it is cheap and I have the time I change it pretty often. I use Pureone filters mostly but have been known to use a Supertech now and again.

I go 2000 miles on my old 70s KZ Kawasakis and 4000 miles on the new Goldwing using Honda filters on both, Yamaha WR250R recommends 3000 mile change intervals. I got one of those too and was going to go 3000 miles as spec by Yamaha. I'm not too worried by the one oil analysis done. I might go 2000 miles and have my own analysis to compare. I can't see the WR being hard on oil.

I go 3000 mile ocis, usually close to half of a normal oci. I like to error on the side of severe service. Short trips, high speed runs, engine and tranny shared sump, etc.

I use a lower end synthetic oil of the day and a oil filter that has a synthetic filter media.

I find using boutique oil, a waste for my use. But I am a fan of their potential. I just don't go there often enough to warrant their use.

Spidermann59 hello. I owned a Victory Hammer. Welcome to a great line of bikes.

You can double your oci with a top grade synthetic oil. I used Amsoil 20w-50, Mobil V-Twin 20w-50, and Rotella 5w-40. Another popular oil to use was Mobil 15w-50 (old red cap, now red label).

Remember, the Victory is an air/oil cooled engine (factory stock oil cooler). The 2500 mile oci is in-line for an engine of this type using dino or semi-synthetic blend. Just like any other air cooled only big v-twin motorcycle engine.

Also, the Victory is a shared oil sump system.

With the Rotella 5w-40 or Mobil 15w-50, I recommend 2500 to 3000 mile ocis.

I change the oil anyway at this oci range, irregardless of the brand name. That is why I ended up using Rotella 5w-40, with great success.

I thought it was the best, for the wet clutch, and the whole synthetic moly issue. My opinion of course.

I used k&n, mobil, bosch, amsoil, and victory brand oil filters with good results. Bosch has become my favorite because of performance, construction (synthetic filter media), availability, and price. I use them on all of my vehicles.

Good bike, basically just change the oil, and put in gas. Have fun and good luck.

HD's engines don't share oil with the transmission. Victory's do. Tranny's can be hard on oil. That's the cost of one oil to lubricate (2) different functions.

I owned HD. I wouldn't go 5000 miles on the engine alone with dino. Especially HD brand dino. You are brave. LOL

That's how I got into researching oil. I knew there had to be a better choice for the money.

I started with Amsoil and started digging deeper. I eventually starting reading BITOG and motorcycle owner forums.

I am glad I did. I have found many suitable choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
I use redline in my Harley. 5000 OCI on engine. Trans is shockproof heavy 3 years or 30k. Primary MTL 5000 OCI

I also use Redline V-Twin oil in my HD's and change at 5k miles. I do this because the engine is air-cooled and oil is cheaper than an engine. I haven't used their products in the primary and trans yet, but am going to this summer.

I generally do 3,000 mile OCI's, no matter the bike, just because.
21.gif
Currently, it's a Suzuki V-Strom, 1000cc water-cooled V-twin.

Mobil 1 15-50 and 10-40HM have been the primary choice, 10-40HM is in there now.

UOA's are here.

Thanks warchildindy. I really enjoy this new machine. Incredible torque. Well engineered. As a incentive, the bike came with a 5 year warranty, I will stick with factory stuff. I like the oil change kit idea, keeps it simple. I'm sure if the changes are closer to 3000 miles it wouldn't hurt that bad, yes?

Your welcome spidermann59. As far as a 3000 mile oci, that's your call.

To be truthful, I have never seen a lab report on the Victory 20w-40.

I never used it. I thought it was over priced for a synthetic blend. My opinion of course.

It's not scientific, but when it was harder to shift, I changed the oil.

The oil usually had between 2500 to 3000 miles on it.

Good luck.

Harley recommends 5000 mile OCI's on my '07 Electra Glide, so that's what it gets, using whatever flavor m/c synthetic is on sale. I've tried Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 (15W-50 & V-Twin,) HD Syn3 and HD360 dino. Prefer the HD oils as there seems to be less engine noise with them. Generally run Syn3 in the engine with an HD filter (5k or 1 yr OCI), Redline Shockproof in the tranny (2 yrs OCI) & HD Formula+ (5k or 1 year OCI) in the primary.

One thing I noticed with Harley's syn3 when I used it, the bike would use more then the Amsoil. I used it in my '93 ultra and my '03 ultra and I would always have to top it off with at least 1 qt, between changes.I had had little to no usage with Amsoil or Mobil 1 v-twin.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back