Oil For 03 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I bought a drum of Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for my motorcycles, I was wondering if this oil would run fine in my girlfriends car? 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Gixxer420
Since I bought a drum of Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for my motorcycles, I was wondering if this oil would run fine in my girlfriends car? 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L.

15w40 for motorcycles and 15w40 for vehicles are two different oils. If this is not a regular Rotella, do not use it. Regular Rotella 15w40 would be great for summer, I used to have such car, it prefers thick 40-grade oils.

Last edited:
Does anyone have technical information as to why I shouldn't, instead if "I wouldn't use it" or "Use this instead". I know what oil to use and the recommended oil for her car I'm asking is it possible to run said oil without running into any issues since I have a drum of it for my bikes.

Originally Posted By: timeau

15w40 for motorcycles and 15w40 for vehicles are two different oils. If this is not a regular Rotella, do not use it. Regular Rotella 15w40 would be great for summer, I used to have such car, it prefers thick 40-grade oils.

That's not correct, you can use many types of motorcycle oils inside of cars and vice-versa without any problems. I wouldn't recommend it since motorcycle oil is usually a lot more expensive. Some older motorcycles, mainly the "chopper" style type of bikes don't like some friction modifiers that car oils carry. That being said, Shell doesn't make a motorcycle oil but I use it in my bikes since it's just as good if not better than the leading performance oils such as Motul and Amsoil for a fraction of the price. You say thick grade oils are fine while the other two posters disagree, which one is it?

Originally Posted By: Gixxer420

Thanks.

I put in Exxon Superflo 5W30. Total cost $12 with filter. Do it right and leave motorcycle oil for motorcycles. If you don't like this answer, then it means you're hard up on using the 15W-40....then go ahead.

Again, read the entire thread before replying... I know what oil to use in the car and once again, it isn't motorcycle oil. I'm not hard up on using it, no one has given me a reason yet on why not to. Simple answer, will it work and will it work without causing issues, if it will cause problems I won't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back