TRC 15w40, 150 hrs in N14 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Refinery Corp. Pro-Spec III 15w40 CI4+. The N14 puts out roughly 500hp and is installed in a John Deere self propelled chopper. This unit runs wide open most of the time at maximum load. Sump capacity is 42 quarts, 3 quarts of make up oil added. Analysis by Wearcheck, values of zero were omitted.

Time on unit: 4223 hrs
Time on oil & filter: 150 hrs
Oil not changed, sample pulled with vacuum pump.

Silicon: 2.6
Potassium: 2.8
Sodium: 5.2
Fuel%: Glycol: Negative
Water%: Soot%: 0.9
Sulfation: 61
Nitration: 67

Boron: 5.8
Barium: 0.5
Calcium: 4076
Magnesium: 14
Molybdenum: 5.2
Phosphorus: 1130
Sulfur: 5490
Zinc: 1281

Iron: 13
Copper: 0.4
Aluminum: 1.7
Lead: 6

Viscosity @ 100C: 15.49
TBN: 15.1

That would be roughly like 8000 miles on a semi truck. And your oil is still showing TBN of 15! :) I can't for the life of me convince my FIL that new computer controlled diesels aren't the same old engines he grew up with. They are built tighter, atomize better and burn much cleaner than what he drove just 10 years ago. He is stuck on doing 10K oil changes. When he could stick $100-150 in the bank easy every other change. I'm sure his truck most likely could easily go 20K.

Nice wearing N14 (uggh I sounded like Blackstone for a minute please forgive me)! Looks like your limiting factor will be soot. Heck if you were to put a bypass or centrifuge on that puppy you could tack weld the drain plug before you fill it up at your next oil change and forget about it! Wear appears to be well controlled. I take it that you aren't running ULSD and this beauty has NO EGR to bother with.

The fuel is an unknown, off road diesel in our area can be either LSD or ULSD. No EGR to worry about.

Keeping the air cleaner free of pollen/seeds & dirt is a constant battle, I suspect that may have something to do with the soot.

It's worthwhile going to the site of that oil co. All their oils are very strongly formulated. The Pro-spec III has a SA of 1.72%, TBN>15, Ca 4500, Zn 1300 or 1400. If it were a 5W-40 it would be a "super-oil"; which it already is for temperate and warm conditions. The CJ4 version has a very high TBN of 14!!

Charlie

How many hours do you generally you put on your unit in a year? We have a Claas unit on our farm and the last two years put on about 370 hours each. I'm guessing we'll go over that this year though as we're looking to chop a lot more corn. What type of oil filters do you use? The Fleetguard combo filters work real well in some of our applications in keeping soot down. With an N14 you'd probably want to look for an LF9009.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Where can you buy TRC oil??

+1

I have been finding these UOA's to be steller and almost unbelievable.

The TRC stands for Texas Refinery Corporation and they are located in Ft.Worth, Tx. It is a privately held company with apparently world class products. You can order their products over the phone.

Dug out an old thread, but has anyone else here tried some of TRC's engine oils in their cars, trucks, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back