Reusing Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people here regularly don't change their oil filters when they do an oil change?

I just can not do it. I have to put a new filter on too.

Has anyone run more than 2 oil changes on the same filter?

Do you normally at least dump the old nasty oil out of it and reinstall it or just leave it alone?

Last edited:
I think it was Honda that had factory recommendation of changing the filter every other oil change. Not sure if that's still the case.

I'm the same as you, I put a new one on also, it would bother me too much not to change it.

Huh? Re-use the filter? Unless it's an Amsoil EaO or maybe a Mobil 1, it's not being re-used.

I may try it. My fiancee's Honda says to re-use the filters in the owner's manual.

I change '94 LS400 oil filter only once a year, the OCI is 6-7k/60mo with dino and 12-14k/12mo with syn. Yes, I re-use oil filter on LS400 if the oil in the sump is dino.

I've done it before, but I take it off and drain the old oil out before putting it back on. Back in the 60'70's and 80's it was always new filter every second oil change. No big deal really. filters actually get more efficient over time

Last edited:
Drain and re-install.

Works good with the dino oil at shorter intervals.

When I do a cost analysis for the purpose of debate on this forum, I do not consider changing the filter more often with a normal oil than an extended drain oil. 10k is 10k, regardless if it's 10k all on one fill of synth or 5k and 5k of dino.

Cut open a few filters and you will see how there is really nothing at all trapped in them.

It would seem to me that most auto manufacturers figure that, at least OEM, filters are good for somewhere between 10 and 20,000 miles.
It's probably the best way to go. That's half as many dry starts which is probably worse for the car than half a quart of used oil.

I let the oil filter on my bike go 2 or 3 changes. It's a cartridge filter and I have never seen anything stuck in it. I change the oil about every 500 miles or when the shifting gets notchy.

I would never, under any circumstances, re-use a dirty filter. Not even my $14.83 Bosch Endurance Plus filters.

Well, Hemi, how long is your OCI?

Let's say your oil and filter change is currently 5k.

You have no problem using that filter for 5k, right? It's perfectly good for the entire 5k from beginning to end, right?

Now change the oil out @ 2500 ..just because you like to waste money on oil. Isn't that filter JUST as good as it was when you did 5k/5k??

It's the same deal if one is driving longer drain usage profiles ..but doing shorter drains with shorter drain fluids.

How could a dirty oil filter become MORE efficient over time? I would never recommend someone use a dirty filter of any kind.

I ran a EaO for two 5k (or so) runs and the insolubles were lower after the second run than the first.. (.2 vs .3)
This is duplicated from the other thread, but Ill add a little.
I did not drain the filter. If you are going to reuse I would not recommend removing the filter. I was going to remove and drain until I read something Johnny, I believe, posted about filter gaskets only being designed to be used once. Thinking about how the gasket (de)forms after a use I agree with him; so I left it on in between.
I have not run more than two runs on one filter and I removed it for a PureOne. I decided I would only run one year on a filter, just to keep the number of heat cycles on it down. Most of the garbage is made during warm-up so I felt one year was reasonable. Its not likely I will reuse the PureOne, since they are so cheap, but I may..
Just 'cause I can..

Back when OCIs were 5,000km, most manufacturers recommnded 10,0000km filter changes (also recommended not changing oil brands between filter changes).

Most cars now spec 10,000-15,000km OCIs, which is really no great difference IMO.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How many people here regularly don't change their oil filters when they do an oil change?

I just can not do it. I have to put a new filter on too.

Has anyone run more than 2 oil changes on the same filter?

Do you normally at least dump the old nasty oil out of it and reinstall it or just leave it alone?

I can't do it and won't do it. In some cases 20% used oil, the same oil that is going to the recycle center as waste oil remains in the engine, to mix through with the fresh oil I just put in the car. Even draining the filter still leaves dirty oil trapped in the filter a chance to mix in with the fresh oil. Maybe in the grand scheme of things it won't amount to a hill of beans in engine life, but it is a chance I'd rather not take. JMO

I know the case of the filter being more efficient when it gets loaded up a bit. I still think the dirty oil would negate any possible benefit of that.

Some old habits die hard, or just don't die at all. Since joining Bitog I have extended OCI's and now change brands of oil from time to time.

It is getting tougher, but you can still find a number of inexpensive American oil filters. I guess I will be extending how long a filter is used as I go to M1 and longer OCI. If I go to a 12 K drain on my car, I can't see a 24K on a little cartridge element.

I'd say after 12K you owe it to yourself and your car to change out the filter. LOL. Especially if you were once a 3 month 3000 mile kinda guy.

I change the filter every time just because I could never remember if I changed it last time or not.

A couple of comments:

Any used oil left in the filter is not a big deal, you have used oil in the engine, and sometimes up to one quart on some engines. The used oil is not toxic, in fact your neighbor is likely using his for 6 more months than you.

I have re-used maybe 20 filters in my life, and the gasket has NEVER leaked ever due to re-use.

My Grand AM's have a small filter, and I don't re-use them, although I likely could.

I learned on this board, that a filter does become more efficient with use. SO efficient that it will at some point stop almost everything (that not what you want so it must be changed at some point) So you used filter may filter better than a new one

Remember Honda recommends every other oil changed for filters. What does that tell you?

Filter sales are big business, and they are promoted as something that has to be done.

When NA auto companies went to a filter change with every oil change, the reason I was given many times was "you don't want to leave old oil in" Never "your filter will be plugged and needs to be changed"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back