IRL team using M1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix this past weekend and as I was walking through the pits I observed Vitor Meira's team doing last minute engine work before the rollout for their race.

Around the engine were bottles of M1 0w-40 so I'm assuming that's what they filled up the oil tank with it.

The bottles looked just like the stuff you buy at Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys and so on.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for the group.

Originally Posted By: Flashlightboy
I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix this past weekend and as I was walking through the pits I observed Vitor Meira's team doing last minute engine work before the rollout for their race.

Around the engine were bottles of M1 0w-40 so I'm assuming that's what they filled up the oil tank with it.

The bottles looked just like the stuff you buy at Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys and so on.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for the group.

HMMMM Pics?

Sorry about not having pics of that particular pit. They were late getting the car out to the starting grid and were shuffling us out of the way. The bottles were NOT of the M1 Racing oil but rather just plain ole 0w-40. You'd think being a fancy pants racing team they'd have fancy everything but they were bottles just you'd buy yourself.

They had about 4 bottles next the the engine and another 4 or so away from that area next to where they had their tool box.

Now if you want a pic of Tony Kanaan in the luxury suite next to mine I can post that pic or some cr@ppy vid of Danica driving by during practice.

Driving wise she finished well back in the pack. I think it was somewhere between 16-18. But for a couple of cautions that tightened up the pack, she would have finished at least 90 seconds behind the leader if not more.

NASCAR can have her. She's a draw because she's Danica but her skill and ability to post wins and top 10 results are sorely lacking. She has one of the best owners and wrenches on her team so it's coming down to finger pointing at her lack of skill. She just doesn't have the ability to win.

Originally Posted By: Flashlightboy
Driving wise she finished well back in the pack. I think it was somewhere between 16-18. But for a couple of cautions that tightened up the pack, she would have finished at least 90 seconds behind the leader if not more.

NASCAR can have her. She's a draw because she's Danica but her skill and ability to post wins and top 10 results are sorely lacking. She has one of the best owners and wrenches on her team so it's coming down to finger pointing at her lack of skill. She just doesn't have the ability to win.

I feel the same way about Dale JR

If it works like the AMA Superbikes they use what there oil sponsor is. Suzuki used Motorex, Yamaha used Yamalube ester, Ducati used Amsoil, ect.... right on down the line. A few of them even got in their race cart and showed me the bottles.

I wonder what UOA would show on that oil after a race?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Johnny saw the same thing at LeMans.

That was the 24 Hours of Daytona, but I like your way of thinking. I would love to go to LeMans.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

That was the 24 Hours of Daytona, but I like your way of thinking. I would love to go to LeMans.

DOH! LOL, now you gotta check LeMans for us
wink.gif

My son has worked for open wheel teams since 1999 and in 2000 he worked the summer while he was in college for a very small team.
If I showed up at the track I HAD to work on the car.

I do remember them using M1

Frenandez was sponsored by Quaker State when he worked for them but I don't remember the oil they used.
He did get me some free Quaker State, and some Tecate

Like I've said here before. Until someone I trust (not a oil marketing department) takes oil from Wal-Mart/Autozone/Checkers and dumps it in a Indy car and then run it for the normal race will I beleive that the bottle of Mobil one they put in is the same.

Why do I have this demand? I was at the Drag races and watched John Forces team dump in gallon jug after jug of Castrol GTX into his engine. And the oil looked like a milk shake going in.

But the bottle had GTX on it... There is no weight of GTX that is going to work in a nitro motor.

Oh, and Tony's Funny car had Syntec going in it.

Pure marketing IMO.
20.gif
It works...
smirk2.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Johnny, we still good for next year?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Like I've said here before. Until someone I trust (not a oil marketing department) takes oil from Wal-Mart/Autozone/Checkers and dumps it in a Indy car and then run it for the normal race will I beleive that the bottle of Mobil one they put in is the same.

Not quite the same, but the caltex V-8 supercar, when they have press days ask the journo's to grab 5 litres of Havoline 20W-50 on the way to the track, and tip it into the dry sump tank before track time.

Blatant stunt...but you get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back