Grease for calpier slide pins and contact points?

I have Amsoil GHD grease, and series 2000 grease. I plan on doing a brake job and wanted to grease up the caliper contact points, etc. Can I use either of those two greases? My local guy has wheel bearing grease and basic grease for grease guns. He's all out of the Permatex grease for calipers, which I usually use.

TIA

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have Amsoil GHD grease, and series 2000 grease. I plan on doing a brake job and wanted to grease up the caliper contact points, etc. Can I use either of those two greases? My local guy has wheel bearing grease and basic grease for grease guns. He's all out of the Permatex grease for calipers, which I usually use.

TIA

I'd use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL3303-Caliper-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000CPIOAG for the slide pins and contact points or this for the slide pins http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Cal...8750&sr=1-1 and this for the contact points http://www.goodtool-online.com/store/tem...95b77318d200a69

We have been using this since it came out.Bendix has a similar formula (it might even be this product)it works great!
Never seize isn't much of a lubricant for sliding parts also some rubber components found in brake systems can react badly to "normal" grease.

I stopped using regular wheel bearing grease becuase it seems to, after a while, get caked up and prevent the pins from sliding. I have had much better luck with high temp antiseze. I have no doubt that regular caliper grease would work, but antiseze seems to work and i have it already.

My problem is I actually looked in three stores over the past two weeks, and saw nothing. I don't want to order anything I have the time this week for the job.

If Anti-Seize will work I have plenty of that.

Thanks for the replies.

Do not use anti-Seize on brakes.

Anti-seize is good in most places, because it is thick and stays on intended surfaces, even when exposed to the elements. However it is also thick, and at lower temps, not much of a lubricant. (could cause calipers to drag)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Anti-seize is good in most places, because it is thick and stays on intended surfaces, even when exposed to the elements. However it is also thick, and at lower temps, not much of a lubricant. (could cause calipers to drag)

Agreed. If there's a local NAPA you could pick up some Sylglide for the slide pins.

Interesting, thanks. I was told it was OK, by a friend, but had some doubts.

Advance,Autozone,Napa,etc should have most or all of these products mentioned.I got the ceramic from Advance.They also have the small packets on the counter which is enough for 1 job.

Here's how my luck has been. Two AAP stores and one Autozone store that I went to were completely out of stock! Naturally they tried to tell me wheel bearing grease is "universal, and will work just fine"! They claim the Permatex product I usually use "should be in with the next truck". LOL

Have you guys really had issues with using antisieze? Maybe my brakes dont get as hot as some or something because it appears to work great. I know many people that use it on brakes and prefer it over standard wheel bearing grease. I myself have been using it for almost 5 years now on my caliper pins, and have not had an issue. Maybe the stuff made for that is better but the antisieze at minimum does a pretty good job. Here is some more reading from an old bitog post that i think leads into other uses for antisieze.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=966033&page=1

Good luck with your brakes, it appears it is not going so smoothly.

Once I get my act together and finish up a few things I started around here, I will get to it. My intent was tomorrow, but I could do it Wednesday too. That is the nice thing about having 2 drivers and 3 vehicles, no time lost to a downed vehicle.

Originally Posted By: synormin
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Agreed. If there's a local NAPA you could pick up some Sylglide for the slide pins.

+1 I have always used it on everything but the face of the pads. Works fine on the back to prevent squeal. Note, some other places carry it too.

I have Permatex disk brake quiet which I spray on the backs of the pads, they never squeak with that stuff. I was thinking about trying the A-S on all metal to metal surfaces that slide. I could also try another AAP in the morning and get the grease. I've been slowly accumulating parts. A recent AAP deal, it might still be running: spend $100 get $50 off the next purchase put me over the top. I bought rotors, bearings and rear brakes to take advantage of the deal. I had the pads and grease seals from another promo.

I now have the 93 Aerostar in the garage, it is on jack stands taken apart. I'm treating it to new rotors and wheel bearings, the bearings have over 183,000 miles on them, the rotors have over 100,000 K on them. The current economic climate made me decide to keep this thing longer than I had planned!

I really like the permatex product i got at pep boys it has moly in the silicone grease... just lil extra for my brembos

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I didn't even know they made a special grease just for caliper bolts. I've always just used a good high temp grease.
..most of the cars in my families stable are fine with the silicone and synthetic perma products..but..if you have the rubber "dust" boots that actually grip around the "shaft of the caliper bolt" (not just below the head) like on the newer 2000+ subarus and some pontiacs (the only cars I am familliar with), the silcone or permatex products will not do the job for the long run..these types of greases don't mix well(developes unnecessary friction or welling) with the rubber boots and will start to bind up in a very short time causeing the caliper pin to hydraulic causeing the surface of the rotor to become tarnished..I was made aware of this when I bought my 2001 subi with 42k/mi, since it was dealer serviced being still under warr, by this time the rotors had been re-surfaced 2 times with 3 new sets of pads..even after my purchase shortly again the rotors and pads needed replaceing..the caliper pins were locking up and a [censored] too pull them out even though they were not one bit rusty..to make this long story short..the proper grease if the mechanics are ware of it(most are not) can not be purchased any more, at least for the consumer..so I use this product in small amounts and all works as it is designed too.. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/FUCHS - TDS/RENOLIT RED RUBBER GREASE.pdf

I forgot to mention that I like the green perma synthetic for everything else on the brake system, especially on the back of the pads..does a great job in preventing any brake noise

Back