Help!!!! Trans problem with GM 3.1L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Chev Lumina 3.1L V6 with 153k on it. I just took it on the highway for a 40 mile trip to my wifes parents. Crused at 80mph the whole way and it operated flawlessly. I got on the exit ramp, going 45mph, then slowed to about 30mph, rolled through the stop sign, hit the gas and the RPM's shot up to 4 thousand and the engine wasn't responding, but was creeping along really slow. I hit the gas again, same thing, RPM's jumped and engine wasn't responding. I pulled off the road, shut it down, and looked underneath and saw no moisture, and all fluid levels were fine. I started it back up, got back on the city road going 45mph and not one problem. Went back home, not a single problem. Any of you know what could have been happening? Transmission going out?

The trans fluid is farely new. So what you are saying is that what I experienced is not, and has never been the sign of a failing transmission with any vehicle? This is only the result of a sticking gear?

Also, my car was parked and unoccupied last summer when a lady in the Walmart parking lot bashed in my rear bumper. She was having a diebetic siezure and hit it hard enought that it disengaged out of park and rolled about 50 feet into a lanscaping boulder. Could what I'm experiencing be the result of that? Or would that have only effected the parking gear?

Anyone who knows and works on transmissions here? Would love to know if you can help me understand better short of tearing it down as to an explanation as to why my transmission slipped like that after getting off the highway.

If the RPMs jump then the engine is responding, but the transmission wasnt transferring the power to where it needed to go. So it went neutral for some reason. The shifter cable could be out of alignment with the manual lever, as a possibility. Might also be then sensor on the manual lever.
How did you check the trans fluid with the engine off? Did you mean you put it in park and had it idling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back