New Chart of Motorcycle Survey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Here is a new chart from the survey showing Motorcycle Country of Origin.

MC_country.jpg

One might wonder how many of the Japanese contingent, by percentage, are Honda, Kaw, Suzuki? Are their riders similar in overall pecentage vs the HD riders? This would be relevent to the overall percentages by brand loyalty. Somewhat, anyway, not counting the difference caused by so much lower prices on Japanese products.

This might mitigate to some degree the overall metric vs sae vibe that won't seem to go away. Some might think it to be the entire reason for this exercise. But we all knew there were more metric than HD. I couldn't begin to understand why overall numbers would be important anyway, other than for the smugness factor, if I might be so brash as to suggest that.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
It would seem that alot of us ride "rice-burners"

The Sake is for drink not for gas tank...
31.gif

Originally Posted By: arkainzeye
cant assume HD is the ONLY American company making motorcycles. i believe there is currently 3? i know of at least 2 for sure.

I didn't assume that-- If anyone listed Buell, Victory or Polaris, I put that under American.

Speaking of Buell, wouldn't the liquid cooled V-Rod engine have been a much better choice for a power plant rather than the air cooled HD engines? If they had used that rather than switching over to Rotax engines, maybe Willie G. wouldn't have dumped Buell.

Too bad. Buell was an iteresting bike and with the Rotax engine had lots of promise to be a very respectable sport bike. I'm certain that a Buell with a V-Rod engine in it would have been a bike to reckon with as well.

I'm sure that Eric Buell had just that engine in mind when he allowed HD to absorb his company. I'm speculate that Willie G decided to keep it for the fantastically, successfully selling V-Rod.

Originally Posted By: arkainzeye
Is Indian an american company? are they still around?

Yes, and they are around again. Nice looking bikes and very limited production makes them pricey. About $25k for a base model.

Check their website or Wikipedia for a history of Indian. The way they look would make an old Indian fan happy.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Speaking of Buell, wouldn't the liquid cooled V-Rod engine have been a much better choice for a power plant rather than the air cooled HD engines? If they had used that rather than switching over to Rotax engines, maybe Willie G. wouldn't have dumped Buell.

Too bad. Buell was an iteresting bike and with the Rotax engine had lots of promise to be a very respectable sport bike. I'm certain that a Buell with a V-Rod engine in it would have been a bike to reckon with as well.

32.gif
Buell was originally planning on using the V-rod engine. As development went along, it became to physically big to use in his frames, and the cost per unit became too high. It was cheaper to use a Rotax engine, than purchase the V-rod HD engine. Willie G. did not kill Buell, it was the board. For more info, go pick up a copy of the May issue if Cycle World. I was planning on buying a Buell Ulysses in a few years, now I will have to buy something else, HD really made a big mistake by killing what was becoming a more viable and impressive line of American sport bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back