M1 4T to Rotella T6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i changed my oil today from M1 to the t6 and OMG!!!!! this stuff is great my tranny shifts so crisp motor is quieter and over all im very happy! only thing is i came back and checked the oil level and u can see its already brown!. mybe thats because i didnt change the filter this time. i do a filter every other change. i do 3-4k oil changes. this is my 4th oil change since ive owned the bike. bike is a 2006 gsxr 600.oh and wix oil filter

i would def recommend this stuff! im sold! thinking about putting it in my 2000 bmw 528I sport!

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I didn't know T6 was ok for bikes with wet clutches. Can somebody explain this alittle more.

The T6 has JASO MA approval, which means it is OK for wet clutches.

Rotella T6 is just fine. It has the JASO MA spec for wet clutches listed right on the bottle. The 15w-40 Triple Protection flavor is okay with wet clutches as well. Rotella seems to work very well in bikes at a fraction of the cost of motorcycle specific oils.

its JASO MA certified
100_0335.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
JMHO but I would change the filter every time I changed the oil.

Why?

It's been proven that motorcycle filters actually improve their performance over time and continue to filter oil for much longer durations than the short periods of time than most motorcycle OCIs.

Let's not forget that a motorcycle oil filter is cleaning between 1 to 2 litres of oil. The same size/type filter used on an automobile will be cleaning double that and probably for a much longer duration. I've been changing my filters on OPE and motorcycles every third oil change and I've never had an oil related problem yet. My KLR gets 2500 mile OCI and the Valkyrie 5000 mile OCI.

Here's something to think about. My Valkyrie manual says to change the oil and filter at 8000 miles. It does not say to change the filter once or twice in between. That's 8000 miles on the same filter! How many of us actually do 8000 mile OCIs on conventional oil?

Do people using synthetic oil for the benefit of long OCIs change their filters a couple times between oil changes? I doubt it.

I have a Kubota diesel power plant that recommends oil changes every 100 hours, filter change every 200 hours. It takes almost 4 litres of oil and believe me, an oil filter's life in a diesel is much more difficult.

I know some old timers who never change their oil filters. They don't believe in it. I know one guy who's 85 years old and had been driving a 1990ish Aerostar. He gave it to his son-in-law (who's an oil change fanatic). The SIL asked if the oil and filter needed to be changed. The old guy told him that the oil needs to be changed but he's never changed the filter. The vehicle has a couple hundred thousand miles on it and running just fine with no oil related issues.

I'm not saying that we should never change the oil filter. However, I don't believe a motorcycle filter need changing every time the oil is changed.

Why waste money unnecessarily?

Originally Posted By: Craig750
Can it be that much better than the M1 4T. That is saying a lot.

Never tried the M1 4T, but the original poster's experiences are not unique.

Either way, it's dang good oil that's commonly available.

Last edited:
not saying its better not saying its worse.just a good alternative. and its cheaper . i hear the v-twin M1 is even better then the 4T tho. mybe i'll try that next oil change

All of my bikes shift easier, smoother, and quietier right after a fresh oil change, regardless of the brand of oil - then they get clunky, notchy, and noisey somewhere around 3k - 4k, regardless of the brand of oil.

This is not to say that Rotella isn't very good oil - because it certainly is. I am also a Rotella user.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: Johnny
JMHO but I would change the filter every time I changed the oil.

Why?

It's been proven that motorcycle filters actually improve their performance over time and continue to filter oil for much longer durations than the short periods of time than most motorcycle OCIs.

Let's not forget that a motorcycle oil filter is cleaning between 1 to 2 litres of oil. The same size/type filter used on an automobile will be cleaning double that and probably for a much longer duration. I've been changing my filters on OPE and motorcycles every third oil change and I've never had an oil related problem yet. My KLR gets 2500 mile OCI and the Valkyrie 5000 mile OCI.

Here's something to think about. My Valkyrie manual says to change the oil and filter at 8000 miles. It does not say to change the filter once or twice in between. That's 8000 miles on the same filter! How many of us actually do 8000 mile OCIs on conventional oil?

Do people using synthetic oil for the benefit of long OCIs change their filters a couple times between oil changes? I doubt it.

I have a Kubota diesel power plant that recommends oil changes every 100 hours, filter change every 200 hours. It takes almost 4 litres of oil and believe me, an oil filter's life in a diesel is much more difficult.

I know some old timers who never change their oil filters. They don't believe in it. I know one guy who's 85 years old and had been driving a 1990ish Aerostar. He gave it to his son-in-law (who's an oil change fanatic). The SIL asked if the oil and filter needed to be changed. The old guy told him that the oil needs to be changed but he's never changed the filter. The vehicle has a couple hundred thousand miles on it and running just fine with no oil related issues.

I'm not saying that we should never change the oil filter. However, I don't believe a motorcycle filter need changing every time the oil is changed.

Why waste money unnecessarily?
Here's my thoughts on oil filters. I change the filter at every change why? The purpose of changing oil is to remove any dirt and products of combustion as well acids that have built up in the crank case. When you oil is filtered where do most of these nasty things collect? in the oil filter.So why would you want to run brand new clean oil thru an old filter? that's like taking a bath and putting your dirty underwear back on.Now oil should always flow thru a filter old or new, but when and old filter starts to get plugged up, the design allows it to bypass the filter and allows it to go back into the motor to avoid damaging the motor.It will go back and circulate, but it wont be filtered.That's the brite side of the issue. Sure you can leave the factory filter on until the car dies, but it wont be doing anything but bypassing the oil. And there's no signal that lets you know when to change the filter, so changing it when you change the oil has been the accepted time frame or lifespan for a filter.When you can get a filter for $2 at some discount stores, why risk a motor that costs thousands to replace?.,,

i agree and disagree . 1st my filter is $12 and that’s the best price i can find anywhere for a gsxr 600 filter. 2nd filter are not designed for 4-5k mile oil changed. they are made to last or exceed the oem recommendation some recommended 3k some recommend 10K so the filter must work to that level

"When you can get a filter for $2 at some discount stores, why risk a motor that costs thousands to replace?.,,"

Never seen a two dollar oil filter. Most of my bike filters are $10.00 or more. Three oil changes at $10.00 per is $20.00 savings on one bike if the filter is used three times. Multiply that by four machines (which I operate), is $80.00. In addition to that, it's the convenience of drop old oil, add fresh oil and go.

As far as a low mileage, used oil filter contaminating fresh oil, well, that's preposterous. If a filter is filtering, why would contaminants get by just because you put in fresh oil? That does not make any sense. If, in fact the filter does a better job of filtering on the second and third oil change, you're actually circulating cleaner oil in the long run.

We as consumers are often mislead by people wanting to sell us stuff. Be it unnecessarily expensive oils or numerous oil filters that are just not needed. If that's what a person needs to calm their fears of destroying their engine, have at it.

For those of us capable of gathering the facts, weighing the evidence and making rational decisions, it's money in our pockets as well as confidence that our machines are getting proper maintenance.

I speak from experience.

I've owned and operated, repaired, restored, maintained motorcycles and ATVs for close to thirty years. That would be ten motorcycles (four on the road right now) four ATVs, (two in service right now) as well as two lawn tractors that have oil filters. In all of those years, I've been doing the same thing and putting tons of miles and hours on my machines. No problems ever due to oil issues. So, with that kind of record, why would I change things if there's no need to?

It's your money. Dispose of it as you wish.

Most of my bike filters are $10.00 or more. Three oil changes at $10.00 per is $20.00 savings on one bike if the filter is used three times.

If a filter is filtering, why would contaminants get by just because you put in fresh oil? That does not make any sense.

If, in fact the filter does a better job of filtering on the second and third oil change, you're actually circulating cleaner oil in the long run.

1- $10 Is not a lot of money compared to the value of your engine. IF it is a lot of money to you, then perhaps you should sell a couple of those bikes.

2- There are CHEMICAL contaminants that are NOT contained by the filter. Granted not a lot, but there is a small amount.

3- The filter may remove smaller particulate over a longer period of time, but this also leads to reduced oil flow to critical engine parts.
Unless you know EXACTLY how clogged your filter is, its usually better and safer to replace it.
A new fresh filter element is good cheap insurance against engine failure.
The chances of a filter totally clogging off may be slim.........
But it still can happen.

Originally Posted By: OAS
Most of my bike filters are $10.00 or more. Three oil changes at $10.00 per is $20.00 savings on one bike if the filter is used three times.

If a filter is filtering, why would contaminants get by just because you put in fresh oil? That does not make any sense.

If, in fact the filter does a better job of filtering on the second and third oil change, you're actually circulating cleaner oil in the long run.

1- $10 Is not a lot of money compared to the value of your engine. IF it is a lot of money to you, then perhaps you should sell a couple of those bikes.

2- There are CHEMICAL contaminants that are NOT contained by the filter. Granted not a lot, but there is a small amount.

3- The filter may remove smaller particulate over a longer period of time, but this also leads to reduced oil flow to critical engine parts.
Unless you know EXACTLY how clogged your filter is, its usually better and safer to replace it.
A new fresh filter element is good cheap insurance against engine failure.
The chances of a filter totally clogging off may be slim.........
But it still can happen.

To your points:

1 - I own a lot of bikes because I can afford them. I have plenty of money because I don't waste it one unnecessary purchases. I choose to not spend money on something that isn't necessary. I've got 30 years of doing this and have NEVER had an oil related problem. I'm not worried in the least about my engines. They're probably healthier than most.

2 - The chemicals are in the oil. That's why I change the oil more frequently than the filter. Looks like you didn't think that one through?????

3 - How does anyone know at any given time if their oil filter hasn't malfunctioned be it new or re-used?

If an engine can run 8000 miles between oil and filter changes, why wouldn't that same filter be able to handle three 2500 mile oil changes? Wouldn't the filter with 8000 miles of the same oil being pumped through it be in worse condition than the same filter getting fresh oil three times in the same duration?

It seems you're not putting too much thought into your argument.

Oil filters are underutilized on motorcycles if changed out with every oil change. If you want to squander your money, go ahead. I'll keep the money I save on expensive oil and filters and spend it on stuff that matters. Maybe another bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back