Save a Trooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have the chance to pick a late 90s (I forgot the year) Izuzu Trooper. It is in great shape. The only downside is that it has a blown engine. The guy was going to rebuild or replace it, but never has the time. So he is planning to get rid of it.

I'd love to have an SUV that can go offroad, take the family on trips, and good stuff like that. Would it be worth saving? I know very little about these trucks. So any info you guys could give would be great....

If you can do a majority of the labor. Buy the parts and having the machine work done shouldn't cost more the 1000.00.

If you cannot the cost will triple and not be worth it

Good news is that I can get help (beer helps!), so that should be a good shart.

I'm thinking it might be 95-97, judging by the pictures. I've also noticed quite a few have blown engines. Just stupid people, or a real issue?

I have a 77 LUV and am active on a LUV forum. I don't think they are any more likely to blow engines than anything else.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
What is an LUV?

A sweet old Chevy compact truck..don't see them aroud here anywhere....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Good news is that I can get help (beer helps!), so that should be a good shart.

I'm thinking it might be 95-97, judging by the pictures. I've also noticed quite a few have blown engines. Just stupid people, or a real issue?

I dont know what kind of tools you have but you may consider having the machine shop hang the pistons or even short block it for you. Likey it wont cost more then the 1000.00. Use a good machine shop. Talk to people or even look around the race tracks and see who they are using. machining is the single most important part of any engine build.

What is an LUV?

It was a small chevy pick-up made by Isuzu. I think it stood for Light Utility Vehicle.

Seems the 3.2 amigo engine blows a lot.

Thought they were clones of the GM 60 deg V6 so maybe an early 90s camaro RWD setup would make a good donor?

Originally Posted By: pbm
What is an LUV?

It was a small chevy pick-up made by Isuzu. I think it stood for Light Utility Vehicle.
Oh, ok, never heard of them before, lol

ok, never heard of them before, lol
Man your making me feel old. Many of the LUV's were Yellow for some reason and If I remember right they had a Diesel engine option.

T.Gord5.jpg

Last edited:
If you can do the work yourself it may be worth it.

Troopers are known for severe oil consumption. Bad enough that you could loose nearly all the oil during an OCI, so you have to check it frequently. If you stay on top of that, they can last a long time.

For this reason, I'd go with a good quality rebuilt or remanufactured engine with a good warranty. Junkyard/used engines will be a big gamble.

Troopers are not bad trucks at all if you stay on top of maintenance. Like so many other SUVs though, people tended to beat the [censored] out of them and never bother with pesky maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
41. Still see a few around town here.

I'm 49. I remember them well from my youth during the 70s. Everyone I recall who had one like it, except for rust issues (but all vehicles were susceptible back then...). One of my favorite HS teachers had one that was light blue.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I know where there is a yellow one and a blue one.

Best vehicle chevy ever made

Correction, it was the best vehicle Chevy never made
grin2.gif
. Right up there with my Ford Courier.

Most of the LUV's I recall were powder blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back