American made Mann filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dually
Is there any real difference in the construction of the Mann filters made here verses Germany?I'm told there made by Purolator.Thanks Joe

Quite a few differences. The pressure relief bypass on the German ones are a different setup. The baseplates are completely different and the filter element is different.

Bosch & MANN oil filters are just rebadged Purolator filters here in the USA. You can still find places online where you can buy the German filters. I'm pretty sure NAPA Online carries both "Made in USA" and "Made in Germany" Bosch products. I think autopartswarehouse.com does too.

Here's a link for another reference: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597150

The Mann filters I purchase for my MINI & VW from germanfilters.com are from Germany & Austria. So you might check there as well for the the real MANN Euro filters.

Seems like if you go to the dealership you get German.

I got a VW OEM filter from the dealer and it was a Germa Mann... (marked VW of course).

Originally Posted By: MadisonKobalt
The Mann filters I purchase for my MINI & VW from germanfilters.com are from Germany & Austria. So you might check there as well for the the real MANN Euro filters.

Maybe you could cut one of these and an American one open so we can see the differences.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Originally Posted By: Dually
Is there any real difference in the construction of the Mann filters made here verses Germany?I'm told there made by Purolator.Thanks Joe

Quite a few differences. The pressure relief bypass on the German ones are a different setup. The baseplates are completely different and the filter element is different.

OK we know there are differences...which one is BETTER??

Originally Posted By: ps49556n

Very probably they are about the same in performance.

Assuming that the cases don't burst and the bypass valves work, the two measures of "goodness" are efficiency and capacity.

Efficiency measures what percentage of a given particle size is removed in a pass through the filter:

e.g., 95% of 20 micron particles.

Capacity measures how many of these particles can be removed before the filter "plugs" and begins to bypass.

With the common cellulose fibers in most filters they tend to be pretty much alike at a given price point.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: MadisonKobalt

Maybe you could cut one of these and an American one open so we can see the differences.

These filters he uses are probably the cartridge type vs screw-on can type, and no cutting should be required to see the differences on his MINI/VW filters.

Originally Posted By: ps49556n

I assume the American Purolator built one is the marginally better dirt trapper, but I haven't tested Mann versions of Purolator products, nor a cross section of German Mann filters.
I would guess the German Mann is better suited to very long replacement intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back