Is NASCAR dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic used to be a NASCAR freak and he tons and tons of NASCAR items. He told me that he lost interest and stopped collecting and watching NASCAR. (He didn't give me a reason but I'm guessing it's because of possible Women drivers and Toyota).

I bring this up because I saw the movie "Greased Lightening". It's about the first black NASCAR driver. After I finished the movie, I researched Nascar on the internet and noticed that it is becoming more and more foreign (cars and drivers).

kinda sad that people wouldn't like nascar b/c of diversity. Living in the South, folks won't watch the NBA for the some of those reasons as well.

People just cant accpet change. I dont feel nascar has lost alot of fan. Attendence is down I believe be cause of overall cost to attend a race. Currently rating are where they have been in the past 5 years. I do think that the same car winning week after week will soon turn people away, but that time will end.

Nascar has made some good moves in the past 2 years. Side by side restarts are great but the Green white checker thing i'm not fond of. I also think the chase is about as dumb as it gets.

Anyway watching raceday right now and will watch both races today asumming they get them in

i stopped watching it every race because of the "chase for the cup" points system. jimmie johnson keeps winning championships because he manages to be metiocure(s/p?) during the season then does well at the last ten races because they only test for those races. i wish they would return to the old points system where you had to be good all year.

Also alot of suspect caution flags at the end of races and shady rule doings. Such as the deal with kyle busch and brad kesolwski in the nationwide race last week. Seems nascar needs to get the rules right for themselves.....Kyle shoved it up nascars backside though.

As much as people dont like him he's the only true talent on the track right now. Reminds me very much of tony stewart

I was under the impression (not a Nascar fan) that a lot of the bad vibes went back to the "car of tomorrow", the many strange rulings they have made, and the like.

I highly doubt that the introduction of female drivers or foreign drivers would result in lower ratings. If that was the case, they wouldn't be racing.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
kinda sad that people wouldn't like nascar b/c of diversity. Living in the South, folks won't watch the NBA for the some of those reasons as well.

Huh? I grew up in the south, and we watched NBA all the time, and even more ACC basketball. Plenty of "diverse" players...

Originally Posted By: dime
jimmie johnson keeps winning championships because he manages to be metiocure(s/p?) during the season

You can't be serious. He wins championship after championship because he wins a ton of races and is ALWAYS up front in races, and he and his team can take a pos car during the start of a race, to a race winning car during the race.

I find NASCAR boring - I don't know enough for this to be an educated comment, but I find most auto racing boring. Too many go-arounds in formation and not enough no holds barred racing.

Also, the fact that the cars aren't exactly/truly stock cars makes it not very interesting. Fake headlights?!? Come on.

A "diversity" argument is stupid, IMO, but I could see it as reasonable to want only truly domestic manufacturers or only domestic drivers...

For the most part, it's just not as exticing as it used to be. Everything is just too Blah....

I'm a big believer in "rubbing is racing". Much of that died when Dale Sr. died. These drivers know the risk every time that they get into that racr car. While I am happy about some of the safety updates, I'm just waiting for the cars to foam up once they hit the wall....Nascar just needs to let the drivers just settle things out there....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I find NASCAR boring

I agree! hit the gas, turn left. repeat 500 times. I really laugh out at the 'treated' pavement!

I beg to differ with the diversity thing though - contrary to the popular belief I think discrimniation is there. Whether you like it or not, believe it or not, accept it or not. They don't like diversity in Nascar. Whether its gender, foreign/domestic, or racial/ethnic background. You can change the laws but you can't change what's inside people's hearts and minds.

Last edited:
I started to not watch every race when Blowyota got in on it. It's always been good old boys seeing if someones "Thunderbird" was faster than this guys "Monte Carlo." Now you throw a Camry in there? Uhh no thanks.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I started to not watch every race when Blowyota got in on it. It's always been good old boys seeing if someones "Thunderbird" was faster than this guys "Monte Carlo." Now you throw a Camry in there? Uhh no thanks.

Which I fine quite funny since the "Monte Carlos" and "Thunderbirds" or "Taurus'" you see aren't really a car you can buy at your local dealer.

A NASCAR Toyota is probably the most American Toyota there is, but some are so prejudiced against the name, they are unwilling or unable to recognize that reality.

It's probably the same collection of parts you find in any other NASCAR racer, with a Camry racing skin, made by Americans.

Watch or don't watch. I don't watch. But I do find some of the attitudes amusing.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Huh? I grew up in the south, and we watched NBA all the time, and even more ACC basketball. Plenty of "diverse" players...

you never heard people in the south say they won't watch nba? Larry bird has been retired for twenty years.
grin2.gif

If it IS dying, then good riddance...I haven't watched NASCAR since it ceased being North American STOCK CAR Racing and became North American Vaguely Stock-Appearing Racing. Remind me again...carbon-fibre bodies and $100,000 tubular frames are stock on which cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back