VI in synthetic heavy duty oil, Rotella T Syn 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and nephew used RTS 5-40 in their 'Wings, as do many 'Wingers, but both switched to the standard 15-40, complaining that the shifting felt too 'notchy' with the 5-40.
21.gif

I like M1 15-50 my own self, in my shared sump Suzukis.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: boraticus
When I brought my KLR in for it's 1000 mile valve clearance check, it needed three shims changed.

Care to share the cost of that maintenance, or was it covered under warranty?

I'm like you. If the cams have to come out to adjust valves, no thanks. I have no problems with screw adjusters and jam nuts. The new Honda Unicam design looks like it will replace shim under bucket. The Unicam, used on their MX bikes as well as the new VFR1200 and Fury line, uses 4 valve SOHC technology with screw and jam nut adjustment. It's something a D-I-Y'er can do easily.

It was almost five years ago when I had the valve lash adjusted on the KLR. I'm sure I have the paperwork put away somewhere for exact figures but if I recall correctly, it cost just under $250.00 to do get it done. It's around a 3 to 3.5 hour job and at $70.00/hr., it don't take long to rack up a sizable bill.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
It was almost five years ago when I had the valve lash adjusted on the KLR. I'm sure I have the paperwork put away somewhere for exact figures but if I recall correctly, it cost just under $250.00 to do get it done. It's around a 3 to 3.5 hour job and at $70.00/hr., it don't take long to rack up a sizable bill.

Tack on at least another $100 to have it done now. I have read that to do 4 cylinder valve adjustments comes in around the $600 US mark by the time all is said and done.

Last edited:
Don't be scared of shim under bucket valve adjustments. Get a factory manual, inch pound torque wrench, moly paste and do it yourself. Take your time, keep things clean, double check everything.

You worry about saving a dollar on a quart of oil and give big $$$$ away to some dealer who may or may not take the time to do the job right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back