2000 Ford 7.3 - Rotella 15w40 - 7000 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a customer UOA back from Wix yesterday and everything looked great except for the iron level which was 55 ppm. This seems a little high to me but Wix said it was within spec and there was nothing to be concerned about. In looking at some of the other UOA's for the 7.3, it seems that they tend to shed more iron with Rotella than most other oils. This truck is bone stock, almost all the miles are long trip, highway miles pulling a trailer and he always changes oil around 7000. Is there an issue with 7.3 Powerstrokes shedding iron with Rotella or I am reading too much into 55ppm @ 7000 miles? Thanks for the input.

Nitro,

Post the whole report (preferably typed in) so we can get a global feel for it and we'll try to offer up some ideas.

REDDOG

Knock it back to 5k and see what it looks like. 7.trees will release iron if the driving habit changes. I have seen it on several occasions, then it drops back down. The numbers I have seen are much higher though. 55 really isn't anything to worry about

Last edited:
2000 Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke

7031 Miles on Oil
178891 Miles on Unit

Iron 55
Chromium 1
Lead 6
Copper 1
Tin Aluminum 3
Nickel Silver Titanium Vanadium 1
Silicon 2
Sodium 4
Potassium 17
Water Coolant 0
Magnesium 20
Calcium 2327
Barium Phosphorous 1129
Zinc 1259
Moly Boron 40
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 13.9
Fuel Soot 0.5
TBN 6.5

The Fe seems high to me, but I don't have direct experience with 7.3L PSDs. If a large amount of time is spent towing heavy loads at highway speeds as suggested, then it may well be reasonable.

Know what caught my eye? The vis stayed in grade fairly well. Most people would decry an OCI past 5k miles based upon some notion of shear, but it didn't happen here. And look at that TBN after 7k miles! Was there any top-off oil added?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The Fe seems high to me, but I don't have direct experience with 7.3L PSDs.

Know what caught my eye? The vis stayed in grade fairly well. Most people would decry an OCI past 5k miles based upon some notion of shear, but it didn't happen here. And look at that TBN after 7k miles! I'd say the Rotella more than held it's own.

Was there any top-off oil added?

7.3 in stock trim and stock HPOP don't shear to badly at all. Cranking up the ICP and adding copious amounts of fuel is what does it. 7000-7500 is what we reccomend on Delvac 1300 super.

To my knowledge no top off oil was used. When the guy drained the oil that this sample came from he switched to Schaeffer 15w40. It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare.

Originally Posted By: Nitrohaulic
To my knowledge no top off oil was used. When the guy drained the oil that this sample came from he switched to Schaeffer 15w40. It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare.

If you're switching oils, I would wait until the second OCI to get a UOA. That way the "old" oil is out and then you can start trending :)

One UOA may not really mean all that much .Does the truck sit? How long did it take time wise to get the miles? By this one upa the oil is holding up. Too bad the oil brand was changed.

The guy hauls race horses all over the country and racks up miles fast. He averages close to 10,000 miles per month. In fact, he has already changed oil again since the last sample was sent in. I misspoke earlier when I said he had already switched to Schaeffer. He actually ran one more cycle of Rotella while his Schaeffer was on order. I will post those Rotela results when they come back.

Given his high annual mileage, I would think he'd be a great candidate for synthetics with bypass; the savings and downtime reduction could be substantial!

That iron is in a fairly typical range for the PSD and Navistar engines. Soot was nice too, considering the miles. Great TBN retention... typical for RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back