Is Red Line the primo oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart isn't a boutique?
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rainman:
Thanks for all the replies. My car (2005 Mustang GT) only has 14,000 miles, and has had M1 in it since 3000 miles. I doubt it needs cleaning at this point. Unless someone has a bad story to scare me off, I'm going to stick with Redline 5W-20, which is almost a 30 weight. I've previously been reluctant to use 5W-20, but have been convinced by all the glowing reports by all you guys here on BITOG. (OK, "thin" guys... welcome me aboard...) I gather that I should probably not try a UOA at the next change, but perhaps at the one after that?

I know cheaper oils will get me to 200k and beyond, but I don't just want to "get there". I want to be there with an engine which runs like new.

I have a 2003 Mustang GT and I only use Red Line 5W30 in the engine...did this since new.

Before than I had a 2001 F-150 with the same 4.6L SOHC, and I ran Red Line 10W30.

IMO, it is the best protection you can buy for your engine.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I have some new info to share. LOL.

I called Elf and spoke with Laurant (sp?). He said what Molekule said in that you can only have at most, 50% Ester in the mix for a 4 stroke engine. He said esters are great for 2 stroke, but not 4 stroke. Seal leakage is a problem and he also said he doesn't know of any 100% ester based oils. They are not ideal.

*He said even their F1 oils are 80% PAO. So if this is correct, RL is probably at most 50% PAO and 50% POE. I do trust Elf, Shell and XOM because these companies to work very closely with these racing teams. Doesn't mean the others are not capable, but I do see some common denominator among the big companies. M1R was also mostly PAO.

Bottom line though is that Esters are not all that great for 4 stroke engines and that Group II+, III, and IV with a good add pack are every bit as good for some applications. Hasn't the analysis on BITOG shown that? I think so. Elf as you know is used in 4 F1 teams right now.

RL's racing oils might be all POE, but that is just a guess.

BTW, the guy is very nice and informative. I'd give Elf my business.

THANKS! That is good info gathering. After hearing this, I HOPE that RL is at most 50% POE, since their 5W-40 is in my crankcase now.

The Elf stuff sounds great, but their product line is soooo close in spec to itself in sometimes 3 of the exact same rated weights that it is real confusing as to what to choose.
confused.gif
This and the fact that it is very hard to find here, with very few distributors.
frown.gif

I have some UOAs posted on this site for a 3.5L V6 Isuzu engine running in an 99 Acura SLX. For this vehicle RL is ideal. It has a reputation for coking up piston rings and developing a thirst for oil. Red Line has the lowest NOACK Volatility on the market. It holds up well even four wheeling on the high slick rock of Moab and the deep fine sand of Canyon De Chelly, AZ at 6000 ft.
It has enough advantages in my application to offset it's price. It burns only 1/2 QT of RL every 3500 miles. I usually change between 7500 and 10,000. A lesser oil often burns at the rate of 1 QT every 1000 to 1500 miles.
I wouldn't say that RL is imperative for everyone, but it is a very fine motor oil for some applications.

I used redline 10w30 for 135k before timing chain rattled so bad I had to take head off.Engine was very clean,but mileagewise every toyota 22re starts getting noisy around 120k.Plastic guides are the problem.Would have done just as well with m1.I can say redline kept the ring pack and bearings in great shape,but just cant justify cost versus benifits.

Had Dave on the phone, said RL does use a blend of PAO with the POE. He wouldn't give me the %. Wasn't surprised.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolf_Tm250:
Hello,

would it be possible to have the percentage of PAO and POE of:

- Silkolene 10w40
- Motul 300v 10w40
- RedLine 10w40

?

Thank you.

Mailed to Motul Germany, this is the reply:

" Many thanks for your interest in our products and website.

Sorry no details concerning percentage of base stocks.

For the new 300V range we are using "Double Ester Technology". It's a technology exclusively used by MOTUL. We are not interested to publish such information on a forum.

Hope you will understand our position."

Well, I'm not so interested in the precise percentages. I know that they've got to protect their competitive position. On the other hand, fancy marketing doublespeak like, "double ester technology" doesn't tell me anything, really. No way to tell what this stuff really is.

Hmmmm, I'm not interested to use such oil in my engine. Hope they will understand my position. . .
tongue.gif

All of these so called "ester" based oils contain some amount of PAO. I guess technically if you use >50% you can claim that it is an ester based oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
dave at redline emailed me said that redline oil is all ester but use SOME pao

If it has PAO in it, then it's not all ester. . .

Right. You can't be a little bit pregnant.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back