Its recommended for

Kendall L-428 Tough Tac Grease is a premium quality, extremepressure
lithium complex soap grease designed specifically for
use in heavy-duty off-road equipment. It is specially formulated
to provide outstanding protection under wet, muddy, slow
speed, high load, high temperature, and heavy shock-load conditions

So I guess this will not work well ?

K

You should use only grease designed for CV joints. I'm not familiar with L-428, but it doesn't sound like it's designed for the purpose.

AutoZone sells little plastic pouches of CV grease for about $2 each. One was sufficient for a single joint in my friend's Subaru Outback.

Valvoline SynPower specifies it is for also suitable for CV joints.

From Valvoline PDS

Valvoline SynPower Grease is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose automotive and industrial extreme pressure grease. It consists of a lithium complex thickener in synthetic base oil and is fortified with molybdenum disulfide and other quality additives. It provides protection from high loads and may be used over a wide temperature range.
Valvoline SynPower Grease is recommended for use in disc brake and non-disc brake wheel bearings, all-purpose chassis lubrication and constant velocity joint applications.

I don't think that Valvoline is available in Canada...

:)

Thank You Guys

Last edited:
What I've heard of CV joint grease is that it needs to contain a lot of antiwear additives. The CV joint experiences sliding motion, micromotion, and fretting, and needs a lube that protects under these conditions. It also needs to be resistant to heat for inner CV joints for FWD cars, where they operate close to a heat source.

The application is also sensitive to viscosity. It needs to maintain a fine balance. Too high a viscosity and the lube won't creep into the surfaces where lubricant is needed... too low a viscosity and it'll run out. And the lube needs to be shear stable because it can get sheared down rather quickly in application.

I don't have a specific grease in mind. I just know enough to use a CV joint-specific grease.

Thank You again guys...

Not replacing a boot ... clamp just fell off so I'm cleaning it up on the car repacking and putting new clamp :)

I've heard good things about the Valvoline Synpower (and Durablend) greases as well as Red Line CV2 grease for CV repacking.

Hey Guys

I was able to buy only 2 small Bags 85gram each 3OZ is that enough to repack it

any opinions

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Thank You again guys...

Not replacing a boot ... clamp just fell off so I'm cleaning it up on the car repacking and putting new clamp :)

I think it will be difficult to clean out the joints like that. Even off the car I find it time-consuming to clean them out properly. I'd either remove the driveshaft or just re-clamp it and leave it. Does it look like any dirt got in?

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I think it will be difficult to clean out the joints like that. Even off the car I find it time-consuming to clean them out properly. I'd either remove the driveshaft or just re-clamp it and leave it. Does it look like any dirt got in?
Why not use a grease gun to squirt a bunch of grease into the boot & reclamp it? Assuming it wasn't driven for long without a secured boot, you've little to lose by just doing it like that on the car.

If you're already in there, I would just go ahead and pull the axle, pull the CV joint out, clean it, and re-grease with your grease of choice.

I just replaced a CV boot for a friend on his Subaru, and went ahead and pulled the axle and CV joint then re-greased with CV-2 for piece of mind.

Go ahead and do it right...

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Thank You again guys...

That grease got slung all over the place huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back