3.0L Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post on here although i have been browsing here for a few years now. I have some questions regarding people's opinions on the 3.0L diesels as in the Sprinters and in the Smart car for example. First of all, the recommended specs for these diesels are 229.31/229.51 i believe. Now from what i gather, only the mobil 1 5w40 esp formula m meets these specs. Not a problem so far. But when i called 4 chrysler dealers today, they all tell me they are using mobil 1 0w40 in the diesels, but on mobil 1 website or on the bottle, it doesnt meet the specs. what would you do here ???

also, looking for mobil 1 esp formula 5w30 is next to impossible to find up here in toronto, at least from where i have inquired. i would like to pick some of this up if its available as this meets the specs for the newer VW's with 505/507 specs. any help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: crazyman
But when i called 4 chrysler dealers today, they all tell me they are using mobil 1 0w40 in the diesels, but on mobil 1 website or on the bottle, it doesnt meet the specs. what would you do here ???

Complain. To corporate if you have to.
thumbsup2.gif

And by the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

(P.S. I don't think the Smart has a 3.0L engine...)

I run the M1 5w-30 ESP in our VW, we get it at pep boys, not sure if you have them up there.

M1 0w-40 would be suitable for most MB diesels, likely the .51 oils are required only for bluetec variants.

maybe thats the difference with the blutec vehicles. but everyone you talk to gives you a different answer. same as the ow20 oil from toyota, but that for another thread.

If your car requires 229.51, that is a low-ash spec. 229.5 is not a low-ash spec. Mobil 1 0w-40 is 229.5.

Followed up today with the oils again. Apparently the 229.51 is only for the blutec, whereas the 0w40 can be used in all the other diesels. So basically its 0w40 for all diesels and 5w40 esp formula m for the blutecs.

On the topic of the 5w40 esp formula m, i was told that a lot of people are using this oil in their VW's with no problems yet. Anyone here doing this also ???

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Try a Mercedes dealer in Toronto. Most of them stock the Mobil 1 ESP oils.

This is bad info Johnny
you are not going to the question
I noticed you a SHELL guy avoided my question on this a little bit ago.

I have been all around the block on this engine and oil.
And this is what I have found out.
MBenz is like a nut case on this spec going on and on with their oil specs ---

You can go crazy looking at

I went and did the work and I am here to tell you MB is xxxxxxx crazy with their oil specs.

If I use Shell Rotella T6 /// not on the MB spec list I am not using a MB spec'd oil

If I use Shell Hilux or Rimulia I am

and they are for all practical purposes the same stuff.

OR AM I WRONG

yeah you will not see this post I am sure. Shell states that their Rotella T6 meets or exceeds MBenz specs so it should meet
228.51 as it meets 228.31

edit
and to add as these engines take 12 + quarts of oil I do not see the harm in looking for an oil that works and isn't going to bankrupt you every oil change

Last edited:
And another thing to add
the spec 229.51 is for gas engines only ( unless I am wrong)
the diesel engine is spec'd for 229.51 and also 228.51 and 229.31 after reading the owners manual closely I found where this was mentioned for my 3.0 engine

Originally Posted By: badnews

This is bad info Johnny

I went and did the work and I am here to tell you MB is xxxxxxx crazy with their oil specs.

If I use Shell Rotella T6 /// not on the MB spec list I am not using a MB spec'd oil

OR AM I WRONG

yeah you will not see this post I am sure. Shell states that their Rotella T6 meets or exceeds MBenz specs so it should meet

edit
and to add as these engines take 12 + quarts of oil I do not see the harm in looking for an oil that works and isn't going to bankrupt you every oil change

Please refresh my memory as to what question I avoided. Thank you

This is bad info Johnny

No, it isn't bad info, and it's exactly on point. Mercedes dealerships do stock this oil. Take your flaming elsewhere.

No, no, don't tell us. Tell Mercedes. In fact, send them your resume and tell them you know a whole heck of a lot more about oil than they do. Let us know what they say.

OR AM I WRONG

Evidently, you are wrong.

There's no reason whatsoever to assume that.

Good for you. You still have no place talking down to anyone (much less respected board members) for trying to help others who don't hold the same opinion as you.

And another thing to add
the diesel engine is spec'd for 229.51

So which one is it, gas or diesel?

This is bad info Johnny

OR AM I WRONG

edit

Please refresh my memory as to what question I avoided. Thank you

I made a mistake Johnny - you did not avoid the question ---- I was thinking of another forum and debate - my bad . Apologies

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And another thing to add
the diesel engine is spec'd for 229.51

So which one is it, gas or diesel?

I see my mistake now thanks

In effect 229.51 it can be used for both diesel and gas engines / but the diesel engine -- year 2008 can be run fine on 228.51 spec per Benz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back