2007 Honda Ruckus oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother recently purchased a 2007 Honda Ruckus scooter and, as with almost all mechanical systems in the family, I'll be doing some work on it. Scooter has just a little over 900 miles on it and the previous owner stated he changed the oil at its initial 600 mile interval (the regular OCI's are 2500 miles/6 months per the manual) but would like to do a short change at 1000 miles as this oil has been in the sump a while. Manual is specific about using an API SJ rated, non-energy conserving 10W-30 oil though. Like to know if anyone might know of an HDEO or compatible MC/ATV oil.

Use any decent oil in that engine, 10w-30 would is good weight. I don't think you have to use M/C specific oil. The manual states SJ not JASO MA, so......

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
Manual is specific about using an API SJ rated, non-energy conserving 10W-30 oil though. Like to know if anyone might know of an HDEO or compatible MC/ATV oil.

The manual for my Honda SH150i scooter says exactly the same thing. I quickly dumped the factory 10W-30 fill and replaced it with Rotella T6 5W-40.

Rotella 10w30 is a fine choice, as is RTS or any other diesel oil, including all the 15w40's. Or your choice of conventional 10w30. The scoot has an external centrifugal clutch, so you have no worries about slippage, moly content, or energy conserving markings.

Not really worried about sticking with the spec as much as finding a good, economical oil that would still work. If I could use a HDEO that I already have a few jugs of then that saves buying one more type of oil. Did some more research and it seems the owner's manual and service manual don't agree here. Service manual says SG spec or higher and JASO T 903 MA or MB. Also states oils up to 20W-50 can be used which is not in the owner's manual. So it really seems just about any PCMO or HDEO would work.

Rotella 10-30 is the cat's whiskers.
thumbsup2.gif
Rumor has it that there is 1 or 2 cc's of Chuck Norris' DNA in each quart!!
34.gif

Sorry about the kind-of double post. I wanted to post the first from a phone and it didn't seem to go through, so I reentered it on a laptop. Didn't catch that it did in fact work the first time.

Owning a Honda Metropolitan (same engine and drivetrain), I at first wondered the same things.

I settled on Rotella T6 (5w40) for cool weather and Rotella 15w40 for summer.

Being liquid + forced-air cooled - and not a shared sump, there's no reason to go crazy. JASO-MA or Energy Conserving means absolutely nothing in these scooters - CVT.

Any good HDEO (even Supertech 15w40) will serve well in these. I also do not agree with Honda's 2500 recommended OCI. I have cut it in half (roughly 1250 miles) - doesn't take a lot of oil anyway.

I also went with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90 in the rear-end. Sure can't hurt anything. I'll probably change it every other OC - 2500 miles.

Don't forget the radiator, it only holds 1-qt and the resivoir is not very large - easy to ignore.

Other than that, a bullet-proof Honda and many are getting 25,000 miles or more on these engines before a rebuild - not bad for 49cc's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back